My new background started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bavass

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have started making a background for my tank. I started with a sheet of light diffuser, 1/2 pvc pipe, zip ties, and mangroves from www.reefcleaners.org . I am doing a test run to see how I like it. I think that I am going to start over and make it deeper into the tank. I tied the mangroves to the diffuser with zip ties. Was careful not to make them to tight and allow room to grow. I have 20 more mangroves coming on Friday ofcourse from www.reefcleaners.org and will begin to do the same on the other side of the tank. Once I get the mangroves on Fri and get them all attached I am going to attach rock rubble that I have already cured and been in sump for sometime now and then use silicon to attach sand to anything else that is white. Let me know what you thing and if you have any suggestions? I have included a pic.

957704633_MogKV-M.jpg

I think that will be an awesome background when you are done. I'm not sure how much the mangroves will help with nutrient export, but they will look nice. Just be sure to remove any leaves that fall in the tank.

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Question though. If a mangrove dies and you have to remove it, is it gonna be difficult to get to with rocks and everything else attached to the diffuser?

cmor: The mangroves should help plus I have other Macros in the tank. Will they help a lot I have no idea but every little be counts.

Austinsdad: No it will not be hard, I am going to zip tie the rock to the diffuser so that if I need to remove it I can, plus the zip tie are not real tight I could slide the mangrove out of needed too.

Maybe consider painting the egg crate with black Krylon Fusion? The white stands out, but flat black blends with just about everything. Zip ties come in black, too. If you opt for the Fusion, be sure to let the egg crate dry for at LEAST a week before putting it in the water. I have found that items with only a few days of "dry-time" do not do nearly as well as pieces dried for a week or more. I use it in freshwater only though...not sure how it does in salt.

Maybe consider painting the egg crate with black Krylon Fusion? The white stands out, but flat black blends with just about everything. Zip ties come in black, too. If you opt for the Fusion, be sure to let the egg crate dry for at LEAST a week before putting it in the water. I have found that items with only a few days of "dry-time" do not do nearly as well as pieces dried for a week or more. I use it in freshwater only though...not sure how it does in salt.

I am going to cover the eggcrate with sand and rock so the white will not show

If you want the look of mangroves, great! I love the whole background you are doing. I'm just saying that you should not expect much in the way of nutrient export from 6 - 12 mangroves.

From MANGROVES IN REEF AQUARIA by DANIEL KNOP
"They are slow-growing plants, and their nutrient uptake is limited. To say it clearly: if we have the problem of exporting phosphates and/or nitrates from our tank, due to over-feeding, insufficient foam fractionation, etc, we will certainly not be able to solve it by planting mangroves. Having mangroves in the tank just helps to make the man-made biotope a little more natural, in function and appearance. If we try to create something we call a "mini reef," we should take every opportunity to employ natural mechanisms. Even though their functional contribution to the system is relatively small, it makes our "mini reef" a bit more natural. "

I do like the look of mangroves in the tank. I like the natural look it gives with roots hanging into the water. The fish love it and always seem to be picking something off of them. When I finish the project this weekend I will have 25 mangroves in all. It might not take up a lot of nutrients but they will take up soom and I like them. I did print the artical at work and will read it.

Got a little of the rock added this evening. Hope to get more done tomorrow. replacing sump pump and cleaning all powerheads and skimmer tomorrow. So we will see. I will post more pics as I get more done.
960886763_niCLX-L.jpg

I'm not a salt person so I'm not sure... what do the mangroves do?

Also, is there a reason you only did the top part and not all the way to the bottom? Plan to add more rock?

Looks great!

Mangroves help pull unwated nutrients out of the water.

The reason I didn't go all the way down was because I didn't want to disturb my live rock. That can cause big problems in SW.

Well the Silicon will no stick to the eggcrate like I wanted it too, and the sand does not stick to the silicon very good either, so I have to figure out something else. Might just wait it out and let the coraline algae take over it!

That is good to know about mangroves. Is this an option for something other than a skimmer?

I can understand not wanting to disturb the live rock. I couldn't tell from the photos it was up against the back.

They may not look good, but zip ties may be able to help hold things on.

To update this thread the background is doing well. I actually have Macros and a few corals are starting to pup up. Still not having much luck with Purple Coraline Algae though

Back
Top Bottom