My new lights on an Eclipse2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uthscsa19

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everybody. I just put in the smart light retrofit for the eclipse system which gives me 65 watts of total light. This is on a 25 tall aquarium. Currently i have 10lbs of live rock, 5 snails, 3 hermits, and 2 yellow tail damsels. I am hoping to get about 15-20lbs of live rock in the next 2 months.

But what I am exited about, is that tommorow i will go get another 65 watt retrofit kit, and i have rigged it so that I can run two sets. That give me a total of 130 watts. These come with one actinic and one 10,000k lights. One question. I only have space for one switch and I am wondering if I can connect two lights to one switch. In my mind it should work, but i figured id ask. So is 130 enough to grow everything, and if not what should i beware of buying. Man, I have never spent a better hour that in installing these lights and figuring out a way to fit another. What type of cooling, if any would i need, and where would i get it from(cost?).

Also, in doing this the lights are exposed to evaporation, if I wrapped all the wires in electrical tape very well is this good enough. If not what could i make a shell or cover for this out of. I am thinking about putting a thin layer of plexiglass on top of the entire front portion of the tank, leaving space for the heater.

Well this post is long enought. Thanks in advanced for anyone that is willing to read all of this, and for those who answer.

Ok, I think I can do this...A 25 tall tank needs more lighting than a 20 long, because it is taller, and with 130 watts, that is only 5 watts a gallon in a deep tank. I really dont think that is a whole lot of light, correct me if I am wrong. I think that the exposed lights will be fine, most of the other salties have open tanks, and they are fine, my 5.5 freshie is open with a lot of light, and I was concerned, seems fine though. As for cooling, I think the IceCap fans are a whole lot of money that really doesnt need to be spent. I would go to radio shack and get a computer fan, well two. One that blows in and one that blows out.

Can someone second everything I have said, something doesnt feel right going first.

One question. I only have space for one switch and I am wondering if I can connect two lights to one switch.
Yes you can, if you know how. I may be of assitance to help you, with the understanding of the electrical diagram. (I'm still new with how to post picture on this forum, so it may be on the next line)

the lights are exposed to evaporation, if I wrapped all the wires in electrical tape very well is this good enough. If not what could i make a shell or cover for this out of.
I would cover it with silicone, while wet, close it up with wire nut then electrical tape. The evaporation, salt and electricty don't mix.

Great job on the diagram Barney! Everything I have ever read, including the directions that came with a couple of PC retro kits, said in bold letters "Do not run these lights over open water!" I think the biggest reason is that PC lights are supported by clips. If the clip fails for whatever reason, the bulb will fall in the water. Since PC's get very hot, I think that would likely cause the bulb to explode due to the sudden temp change. Now, having warned you that you could be killed or dismembered, I have been running PC's over an open tank for some time now and have not had any trouble. I did wrap an extra piece of wire around the bulb on each fixture that would keep it from falling in the water if the clip did fail. I think the clip failing is not a very likely event though. If you have the "moisture proof" endcaps, you might put a small plastic wire tie around it and just snug it down. That will help keep corrosion out.
Logan J

Well Barney, I told you that you would become addicted to the diagrams, now you know why, everyone loves them

Back
Top Bottom