Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
TankBoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: California
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by thursyanna View Post
That would have been a good idea. I wish I knew that last week! LOL! I' m done cementing the wall so I guess I'll just cross my fingers now and hope I get it siliconed heavy enough the the floor and walls so it doesn't float away!
awesome! Can't wait to see it.

One last alternative to silicone. At the end of my video I showed what I did. I'm not sure if it will work for yours but might be just what you need since its not a background.

I cemented some iron weights to the bases of my "rocks" and it worked out very well.

DIY ROCK FORMATIONS FOR MY FRESHWATER AQUARIUM - YouTube
__________________

__________________
TankBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
thursyanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Amarillo, Tx
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankBoss View Post
awesome! Can't wait to see it.

One last alternative to silicone. At the end of my video I showed what I did. I'm not sure if it will work for yours but might be just what you need since its not a background.

I cemented some iron weights to the bases of my "rocks" and it worked out very well.

DIY ROCK FORMATIONS FOR MY FRESHWATER AQUARIUM - YouTube

I just watched your video. Great idea! I'll have to see what I can find for some weight. Maybe my brother has some old weights out in his shop I can use!! Hmmm, I might have to go visit!! Thanks!
__________________

__________________
thursyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
thursyanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Amarillo, Tx
Posts: 368
Andrew, do you think even though my "rocks" are pretty rough looking that it will be OK like that? My second coat of crete got pretty thick on me. I don't want to injure any fish who might rub up against it. (I'm assuming you saw my finished picture)
__________________
thursyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andrew McFadden's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: johnstown, ohio
Posts: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by thursyanna View Post
Andrew, do you think even though my "rocks" are pretty rough looking that it will be OK like that? My second coat of crete got pretty thick on me. I don't want to injure any fish who might rub up against it. (I'm assuming you saw my finished picture)
Looks good to me I doubt anyone will get hurt by it. The only problem when it drys like that and you put it on is it cracks
__________________
Andrew McFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
thursyanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Amarillo, Tx
Posts: 368
I have noticed a couple of small cracks. Do I need to recement those spots (they are only noticable to me) or will it be OK? Will exposed stirofoam hurt the fish?
__________________
thursyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andrew McFadden's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: johnstown, ohio
Posts: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by thursyanna View Post
I have noticed a couple of small cracks. Do I need to recement those spots (they are only noticable to me) or will it be OK? Will exposed stirofoam hurt the fish?
No to all of the above. I have a few that has appeared but haven't got any worse over time
__________________
Andrew McFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
thursyanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Amarillo, Tx
Posts: 368
Good. I was worried about what to do. They won't show but I wanted to make sure that it was safe. I'll get them siliconed in the tank this week sometime and then start filling and draining the tank until my test readings look OK. Then I finally get to add plants and start cycling. I'm too excited! Oh, how long should I let them set up with silicone before start filling with water? I'm glad you're here to answer all my questions!!
__________________
thursyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andrew McFadden's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: johnstown, ohio
Posts: 7,919
I don't remember, I went by what the silicone said and ended up waiting a few more hours to be safe. Make sure you load that thing up with silicone though, you'll need a few tubes by the looks of it.
__________________
Andrew McFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
thursyanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Amarillo, Tx
Posts: 368
That's funny because on someone's background article, maybe yours, they said that if you thought you needed 2 tubes, buy 4, so that's what I did! I hope 4 is enough. Once I do one half, if it looks like i'll need more, I'll just run down to Lowe's.
__________________
thursyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andrew McFadden's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: johnstown, ohio
Posts: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by thursyanna View Post
That's funny because on someone's background article, maybe yours, they said that if you thought you needed 2 tubes, buy 4, so that's what I did! I hope 4 is enough. Once I do one half, if it looks like i'll need more, I'll just run down to Lowe's.
It was mine I can't really tell how big it is in the picture so I was just guessing. I think I used 8 total tubes might have been 9. But that was for the whole process
__________________

__________________
Andrew McFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
project, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.