My "rock" project`

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thursyanna

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm making a rock wall and some rocks to put in my aquarium. I've never done this before but I've read a lot of info on it.

2013-01-15 22.02.51.jpg

2013-01-15 22.03.18.jpg

On the second picture if you don't make the cuts in the rocks deep the concrete will fill it in and you won't even notice its there.

In the first picture the part that comes off (cave) will need to be.siliconed down to the bottom glass.
Ask any questions I've made several of um

Thanks for the input. I was wondering if my cuts were deep enough. I'll go back tonight and exagerate it. I'll try to add a lot more contrast between pieces. I appreciate the help! Thanks! (y)

Yep! I read it several times and even took a picture on my cell phone of the stuff I needed to get started. I bought all my products based on your list! It was a great help!! I'll probably re-read it again before I'm done with wall. :fish2:

I read the whole thread. There were some interesting stuff in there. I learned a lot about filters. I've already ordered a Fluval 405 canister filter for my 55 gal tank. At least I know now that if I don't feel like it's enough, I can add to it. The background info was great too!Thanks for your help an input on this. :thanks:

I've been thinking of doing this as well but have been leering of siliconing stuff to the walls of the tank. I did recently come across an idea of embedding mag float cleaners into the wall and using the other piece to hold it in to place

I've been thinking of doing this as well but have been leering of siliconing stuff to the walls of the tank. I did recently come across an idea of embedding mag float cleaners into the wall and using the other piece to hold it in to place

Karay, I did a lot of research before I decided to use silicone. After reading several blogs and watching a lot of youtube videos I went with GE 1 Silicone. It's 100% silicone and safe for aquarium use. That seemed to be what everyone was using. As long as it's 100% silicone with no lime (i believe), AND it's safe for aquariums, you're OK to use it.
Of course, once I get it mounted into the tank, I'll flush my tank several times to make sure I have it nice and clean. And then I'll check all my levels and cycle before I put fish in there. Never hurts to be overly careful.

I highly doubt those will hold it into place

Andrew McFadden said:
This link will take you to a build thread that I've been helping another he has just started (kinda). So you may.want to.jump over and go to the end of the thread and go back a little ways to where he started the background. May get or see some stuff I or you missed.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/starting-75gal-help-236987.html

Great thread. Just wish I had the artistic skills and patience to build something like that for my Malawi tank.

Edit: I meant to quote the prolly with the link to your build.

Karay, I did a lot of research before I decided to use silicone. After reading several blogs and watching a lot of youtube videos I went with GE 1 Silicone. It's 100% silicone and safe for aquarium use. That seemed to be what everyone was using. As long as it's 100% silicone with no lime (i believe), AND it's safe for aquariums, you're OK to use it.
Of course, once I get it mounted into the tank, I'll flush my tank several times to make sure I have it nice and clean. And then I'll check all my levels and cycle before I put fish in there. Never hurts to be overly careful.

Oh I didn't mean whether silicone is safe. I meant how permanent it is

I saw it on YouTube and it seemed to work. I guess what's the worse can happen. If it doesn't work then silicone it into place. I like the idea of being able to pull it out for servicing

Gotcha! Yeah, my boss thought it'd be funny one day if my stirofoam decided to launch out of the tank. I don't think that would be as funny as he seems it would be! LOL!!

On the second picture if you don't make the cuts in the rocks deep the concrete will fill it in and you won't even notice its there.

In the first picture the part that comes off (cave) will need to be.siliconed down to the bottom glass.
Ask any questions I've made several of um

I saw this style done on youtube... the guy that did it cemented each "rock" separately and then stacked. That way there was excellent depth because the crevices were real.

I saw this style done on youtube... the guy that did it cemented each "rock" separately and then stacked. That way there was excellent depth because the crevices were real.

That would have been a good idea. I wish I knew that last week! LOL! I' m done cementing the wall so I guess I'll just cross my fingers now and hope I get it siliconed heavy enough the the floor and walls so it doesn't float away!

Back
Top Bottom