Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
is back to save the day!

My sump Design

Sorry for the black background.. MSPaint screwed up and i was too lazy to fix it and i didn't want to start over.

So basically.. this is what i have in mind. But it'll be on a standard AGA 10G tank.. so it will be everything in that picture but downsized. I just want to know if that design will be ok.. One question though.. can i use less baffles? In the picture i have 4 leading to the Return Pump area.. so can i just use two or three instead of 4? If anyone has any suggestions on using such a small tank for the whole sump/refugium idea please let me know because i'm looking for a better more space efficient design. But for now.. that pretty much looks like it will be the final product. I definitely want a refugium though.. even if it means cutting back on the intake and return sections, so anyone giving ideas please don't cut out the fuge.

Also, how can i cut this acrylic? Like i i have some excess length or width on it.. do i need special tools to cut it? Or can i use a router bit or dremel or.. ?? The thickness of the acrylic is going to be 1/4"

Another question, can i use GE I Silicone to attach the baffles to the tank? Or do i have to use that #12 or #3 Welders silicone or whatever that stuff is?

Thanks everyone!

Old 04-07-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
Sliced Bread

You can definately get rid of one of the baffles, 3 is plenty. Another suggestion is what I use. I have a single baffle cut from acrylic, but instead of the water flowing over it, it only flows under it. I had a friend cut it for me to the height I want, then he created "teeth" on one end. I put the teeth on the bottom. This made the installation simpler (instead of trying to elevate it while the silicone cures, and seems to work really well considering it's only 1 baffle.

For cutting it, you do need special bits or saw blades for cutting plastic. Most hardware stores will cut it for you, but not guaruntee any "precision cuts" so you have to be careful there. My friend coarse cut mine for me, ensuring they were slightly large. I then made a cardboard template of the exact size and took it to the machine shop at my work and they cut it down for me since they can do precision work.

GE silicone will work just fine. Many people have a lot of techniques for making it pretty. My recommendation is ignore pretty and make sure you have enough silicone to hold the things long-term. My first "pretty" ones didn't last 3 months.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
Sliced Bread

Oh, one more suggestion. If you do use multiple baffles to create your bubble trap, the first baffle nearest the fuge you'll want at the bottom of the tank, instead of elevated like in your pic. This is to help keep the contents of the fuge (sand, rock, macros) situated in the fuge and not allow them to creep into the first baffle zone.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
is back to save the day!

Freakin sweet. Thanks for the input neilanh. I appreciate it. I know exactly what i want to do now. I would do that teeth idea because it sounds like a better overall design, but i don't think i have the connections or the tools to do something of that sort. May just have to stick with the water-flowing-over design.. :/

Also, about the silicone, i plan to just goop it on and make sure that it is stable as heck. Pretty doesn't really make sense since no one will ever see the sump lol. Ahh.. my mind is finally at ease. I have everything accounted for and planned out. Only thing left to buy now.. is the light.

Thanks again!

Tags
design, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com