Nano DIY UV Sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chykityta

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,

I would like ideas, whether off the shelf or DIY, for a Level 1 UV Sterilizer that can work for a 5.5 gallon tank up to a 40 gallon tank.

I have tanks ranging from 5.5g to 20g at the moment. The 40g is a plan. The issue with getting one for a 50g is that it may be too powerful and barely even do level 2 sterilization. That is why I am curious whether someone has done something for such small tank.

After I posted the question, I looked for power pumps and the smallest was rated at 80 GPH. If I split the flow and do a DIY splitter with half to the UV sterilizer and the other half elsewhere, then the 40 GPH flow may be better. That is my logic behind it but not sure whether those 80 GPH pumps are good.

Has someone attempted to do a DIY UV Sterilizer with an air pump and a 5W UV-C bulb? What do you think of the idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How would it be to powerful? Do you mean too much flow? If that is the case, most pumps come with a fitting that allows you to dial down the flow. The longer the water is in contact with the light, the more things will get killed

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Right, hence why the need for a pump that doesn't pump too many gallons. Or at least that was my impression. Either way, I still have not received input here on an idea or ideas of how to do this.

Your response is confusing. "Why the need for a pump that doesn't pump too many gallons?"

Why do you want to use an air pump?

The slower the rate of water passing by the UV light, then it will be better. I asked for ideas on how to do this since the smallest commercial pimp I found for a DIY is rated at 80 GPH.

Back
Top Bottom