Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2007, 05:06 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Well I've been to both Menards and Lowes and they carry the Orbit brand sprinkler parts instead of the Toro brand. Orbit make something called Flex Tubing instead of the Funny Pipe, and I didn't see any Poke-Through Couplings. I may still go this route if I can find the rubber stoppers someplace. I couldn't figure out where to look in the big name stores and it's nearly useless trying to get help from any of the associates, so I'll probably try a Mom and Pop store near me that I like instead.

Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you have a Fleet Farm, or Tractor Supply... I saw funny pipe at Fleet Farm yesterday....Not sure but you might be able to heat crimp it.

55 gal QT/Breeder/Experiment
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=91209
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=95417
redswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 07:25 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

We have a Thiesen's (along the same lines as Farm and Fleet) that I actually stopped at just a little bit ago. No sprinkler supplies that I was able to find, but the did have some very nice graduated cylindars with a pour spout and handle in 250ml sizes and up.

The mom and pop Hardware store has the rubber stoppers that I would need. So between it and Menard's I should be able to get all the parts I would need except suction cups to mount it. I'm working out the design in my head if I decide to build it from scratch.

I've still got one more LFS that I want to go to before I make a final decision. With as cold as it was this weekend, I really wasn't feeling up to making the 30 min drive to the next city over. Maybe next weekend.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:17 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

SORRY you wasted a trip! OK the funny pipe comes in rolls that are like 50 feet, but they also have 2 foot sections that are semi rigid, and they can bend a bit, but not that much... The orbit brand may not have that short piece. They definitely have the poke through connectors though. They are all black, come in a plastic package and look something like this illustration. They are available in both the orbit and toro brands, but since you will be going to Home Depot for the length of pipe, you may as well get them there. The correct name for them is "micro line" connectors, and they are for connecting 1/4" micro tubing lines to the main 1/2" funny pipe line. Anybody in the irrigation department could point them out to you.
Attached Images
File Type: gif fitting_146.gif (5.6 KB, 1297 views)
Old 02-26-2007, 08:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

i love diy... spray bars for nano... easy source... dollar stores... there are some that carry a lot of sprinkler supplies off season... thats one good place to look. also we have some home improvement stores that specialize in 2nd quality merchandice... something in the water filter section might fill your needs there...
Old 04-03-2007, 06:27 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Well I finally picked up some suction cups, which were the one thing I couldn't get at the hardware stores. I'm planning to finally get this setup sometime next week since my local fish club has it's annual fish show this weekend which is going to keep me rather busy. Plus I've still got to buy the rest of the parts I need from the hardware stores. I finally decided to go completely DIY and won't be using a spraybar kit. Plus I'm also going to be switching over to the mist method at the same time so that I only have to mess with the plumbing once.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:10 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you mean the mist method of letting the c02 bubbles mist around the tank by placing them in the outflow of the filter?
Old 04-04-2007, 12:34 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I mean the CO2 mist method of diffusion. Although generally it's done with a powerhead or waterpump instead of a filter. Which considering I don't have a filter, just a water pump, this will be the case with mine.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:35 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I thought you had inline reactors on all of your systems? What is the reason for the switch?
Old 04-07-2007, 07:40 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Partially because I want to give the mist method a try and see what happens. If I like how it works, it wouldn't take up any more space than the inline reactors in the tank and would be lower maintenance since it would be less work to remove and clean an airstone than to disconnect and clean the inline reactor. I'm completely saticefied with the results that I'm getting from the inline reactors as far as the CO2 levels go.

Looks like not all the parts I need are available at the hardware store. Sigh. They didn't have an elbow with slip fittings on both ends. I'm debating on how to deal with this problem.

Tags
nano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com