Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2007, 04:49 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Nano Spraybar

I'm looking at trying to get some better circulation in my tanks.

Currently none of the tanks have a filter, they've just got waterpumps for circulation and CO2 diffusion. All three tanks have the same basic set up. A ViaAqua 180 pushes the water out of the tank through 1/2" vinyl tubing and through a PVC Inline Reactor and then returns to the other end of the tank through some more 1/2" vinyl tubing.

I was thinking that if I could come up with a way to have the water returned through a spraybar instead of just leaving the open end of the vinyl tubing, it should improve the water circulation and with proper angling improve the gas exchange without gassing off excessive amounts of CO2. I'm looking for help determining the best way to build spray bars for each of the tanks.

2.5 gallon: 12" wide
5.5 gallon: 16" wide
10 gallon: 20" wide

The easiest way to do this would be if I could find an existing spraybar that is the correct length for the tanks or easily moded to fit. My next idea would be to try to make a spraybar out of some PVC by adding a cap to one end and drilling holes along it's length.

This Ehiem Kit 2 looks like it might fit the bill, but I don't see anything about the total length of the kit. Anyone know how long it is and whether it's easily sizable?

Here's a less expensive Spray Bar Kit by Fluval. Anyone know how long it is, whether it's easily sizable, and what size the connections are?

Any other kits/ideas that might work?

Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You seem to have nailed all the options I can think of at this time. An existing product is definitely going to look better, but making one should be easy enough. You should be able to seal an existing bar with silicone if you cut it.

theotheragentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Purrbox, are you using one of the DIY reactors and ViaAqua Pump on the 2.5 also?
Old 01-29-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklid
Purrbox, are you using one of the DIY reactors and ViaAqua Pump on the 2.5 also?
That's correct.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:39 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I have made pvc spraybars for alot of my tanks. I would think that is the way to go.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:42 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is one I am making for my 2.5 gallon, with materials from home depot or lowes... Everything can be found in the irrigation department, and is made by "Toro", called 1/2" funny pipe. It really consists of three parts, and it all comes in black, which I love. The rest (the rubber stopper) I had laying around. The list I have is as follows:

One 24" length of rigid funny pipe that is like $1.50 (enough for a few small tanks)
One package of the little couplers for the 1/4" "bubbler-line", $2 and change
One 90 degree funny pipe elbow, less than $1.00

The thing is, you can cut this pipe with scissors, and the pipe does not need to be drilled. All you need to do is poke it with a sharp pointed tool, such as an awl. The little 1/4" couplers just push into the holes and are water tight, and you can add as many or as few as you like to fine tune your out-flow. The barbed elbows also push in and DO NOT come back off, no gluing necessary. This stuff is cheap, does not break down, and looks semi-professional. I also make DIY sponge filters out of this stuff. (Click the image to enlarge it)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spraybar_172.jpg (69.1 KB, 159 views)
Old 02-01-2007, 01:39 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Sicklid - Thanks for the info and picture. I'd been thinking of something very similar from PVC parts if I'm not able to find what I need from aquarium parts. I'll definitely have to check and see if I can get those parts around here. My one concern is whether or not you would be able to rotate the spraybar at all so that you could adjust the angle of the water output.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:29 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, the pipe rotates on the corner coupler no problem. You just cannot separate the two once the pipe is joined onto the corner piece due to the aggressiveness of the barbs grabbing the inside of the pipe. You can probably make something much similar out of PVC, but the pros of this stuff is it is cheaper, easier to work with with just scissors and common household tools, it is already 1/2" like my filter tubing, and it is black... Some folks may not care about the color, but I hate seeing white plumbing in my tank.

The one thing I also do is to ream or oversize the holes of the 1/4" couplers to increase the flow. With PVC you could just drill holes and you would not need these little parts, but the funny pipe is somewhat soft and when you poke a hole in it, the hole is not a nice clean round hole and will close up a bit, or "contract"... I stick these things in the holes and they really do help to keep it working nicely.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:04 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

One more question. Where would you pick up one of those rubber stoppers, if like me, you don't already have one on hand?
Old 02-03-2007, 07:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

good question... I got mine from a supply store at my college, I believe. You can pick them up at most Lowes, but not home depot... Also, there are some mom and pop hardware stores that will sell them, and they usually cost pennies. I am wracking my brain to think where I have seen them recently, but I am sure there is an alternative... You could just plug the end with silicone, too.

Tags
nano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com