Natural filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhullandermn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all

I recently setup my aquarium with an aquaponics system. I'm still in the experimental phase to figure out what the best flow setup is. My plan moving forward is to finish the structure with some nice oak so it looks like the plants are just growing out of the top. I'm hoping this addition will help create a contained Eco system where I only need to add water and food. I will continue to test the water see if it actually works.

It's actually working really well so far in terms of growing things the plant you see in the pic was planted about 2 weeks ago. I also just put some jalapeño seeds and they sprouted in about two days.

After searching the web I can't find any aquaponics systems to bolt on for an existing glass aquarium.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407777321.843342.jpg

Is anyone else interested in creating one of these for their tank? I could give you my plans etc.

I'll keep you posted as the build comes together and is finished.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407777321.843342.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407777346.301335.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407777362.047217.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Keep us posted! I have a 6ft tank and run multiple filters. It would be cool to get rid of most of them

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Natural Filtration Tanks

Hello j...

With some small differences, this type of tank has been around for some time. I played with them a little while ago. At the time, there was a term for them. I believe it was "terratope" or some similar term. The idea for the tank was to submerge the roots of land plants to purify the tank water, without having to change it. Similar to what you're doing, I believe.

There were a number of plants used. Like Aglaonema, Pothos, Philodendron, Nephthytis and Impatiens. The tank works fine. It's open, so the plant leaves take in room light and the roots, minus the potting mixture, remove all the nitrogen from the fish and plant wastes. The plants just needed to be thinned sometimes and you needed to top off the water lost to evaporation.

It's an interesting and fun tank. Attached is a pic of this type of tank with the addition of some aquatic plants.

B

img_3016171_0_de811add4dfd1fe4fe9a0cd6fdafb49a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Yea that's sounds like exactly the same concept. I'm growing jalapeños right no but I might plant a few others. Some people grow tomatoes but they tak a lot of space and light.Ok thanks ill reach out to them.

Been over a month since my last water change and all vitals are stable and plants are growing awesome. I am going to sell this natural filter setup.

If you're interested pm me.

Back
Top Bottom