Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-07-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dubs1281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 611
Neat stand idea

So I have a 90 gallon lined up on craigslist that is being "discussed" by the parents. Its a complete steal. I don't even want to say the price, where or what's included because its so good. The only thing it lacks is a stand. I have my 30 on my dresser that is 48". But... it has a 8" raise 36" in. Plus I don't think that it could hold that much weight. Across the way I have a book shelf. Again to small and won't support the weight. I am thinking of building a stand that.

A. Has room for my books and nic naks

B. Can hold my ten gallon qt

C. Swing open to have all electric cords and such items hidden, but accessible.

D. Be the perfect height for great viewing.



Anyone know if this is possible? I love a challenge and could get some help from my moms co-worker who is great with this kind of stuff. Plus my parents want me to prove that I can plan everything out and execute it. So I need to write/draw everything out to show them I can handle this tank. Any ideas on how to persuade them? Lol. Any help is more than welcome and appreciated!!
__________________

__________________
Dubs1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
SaltwaterNuB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Rocklin, ca
Posts: 791
It's very possible. You'd need to construct it with some good 2x4 or even 2x6's. Remember that a gallon of water weighs 8.34 lbs. so it's a lot of weight that will be on top of whatever you build. Keep us posted.
__________________

__________________
SaltwaterNuB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:55 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Chicago, IN
Posts: 4,856
My dad builds my wood stands. The last one that I designed looks something like a tv cabinet. Its 48" long (for a 55) and it has 3 doors on each side. I did this so no matter which way I decide to display it I can run cords where ever. I did use it as a tv stand for awhile too which was nice. Only prob with mine is that it has no shelves inside. I wish it did.
Keep your grades up and show that you are resposible with everything you undertake and hopefully your parents will see that and let you go ahead with this project! Good Luck!!!
__________________

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dubs1281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennae View Post
My dad builds my wood stands. The last one that I designed looks something like a tv cabinet. Its 48" long (for a 55) and it has 3 doors on each side. I did this so no matter which way I decide to display it I can run cords where ever. I did use it as a tv stand for awhile too which was nice. Only prob with mine is that it has no shelves inside. I wish it did.
Keep your grades up and show that you are resposible with everything you undertake and hopefully your parents will see that and let you go ahead with this project! Good Luck!!!
I'm a straight A student in an advanced math class. Involved in year round sports. Two at my school. One is varsity and one should have been (but that's a long story) and I am possibly playing baseball this spring too. I didn't play last year because the team was bad and to put it in a nicer way... jerks. I am in my sophomore year and 15. I do more work on my tanks than my parents think are needed. So they know I can take care of it. They are just worried I'm blowing my money. Because my mom knows of the price of discus and how many I want. I have two jobs. One reffing hockey. Which I can ref kids older than me because of my level. And that pays around $15-40 a game. And I do an average of two games a weekend when the season starts. And a summer job at culvers. They don't understand that this is fun for me. All of the work that is involved I actually enjoy. I should try explaining that to them.
__________________
Dubs1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubs1281 View Post

I'm a straight A student in an advanced math class. Involved in year round sports. Two at my school. One is varsity and one should have been (but that's a long story) and I am possibly playing baseball this spring too. I didn't play last year because the team was bad and to put it in a nicer way... jerks. I am in my sophomore year and 15. I do more work on my tanks than my parents think are needed. So they know I can take care of it. They are just worried I'm blowing my money. Because my mom knows of the price of discus and how many I want. I have two jobs. One reffing hockey. Which I can ref kids older than me because of my level. And that pays around $15-40 a game. And I do an average of two games a weekend when the season starts. And a summer job at culvers. They don't understand that this is fun for me. All of the work that is involved I actually enjoy. I should try explaining that to them.
Time to sit them down and have that "parent talk" with them! Good job! I wish I could have been that devoted in school. I had the chance to graduate high school at 16 but decided to goof off instead
__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:20 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Chicago, IN
Posts: 4,856
WOW! You are really on the ball with school! Maybe show them this thread? I find playing in my tanks very relaxing and fun. Everyone needs some down time that is relaxing.
__________________

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dmolavi's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sewell, NJ
Posts: 2,123
I saw a stand build online where the person did essentially what you're looking for, and the QT was underneath the DT, almost like it was on a shelf with the books, etc, but still visible and accessible for cleaning/feedings. It was a pretty slick build. If I can dig it up, I'll post a link.
__________________
20 gallon nano-reef torn down to make way for the 40B Reef (original thread and current update).
dmolavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:44 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dubs1281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post

Time to sit them down and have that "parent talk" with them! Good job! I wish I could have been that devoted in school. I had the chance to graduate high school at 16 but decided to goof off instead
I probably could have when I turn 17. But instead of going all out in school. I thought it would be healthier to enjoy hs and not make it miserable. I convinced them to get the tank btw. We went to a fish store an hour and a half away when I was in town for a hs soccer game Saturday, then two non school related hockey games Sunday. I stayed overnight and when we had downtime I dragged them there and showed them "colourful circle fish" aka discus they thought they were beautiful and realised I enjoy this hobby. I am going to draw out plans for the stand tomorrow. A coworker of my moms will help me with the build/final plan edits.
__________________

__________________
Dubs1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.