Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2004, 08:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

neat tank idea (at least i thing so...)

i'm not sure if this will be a DIYer, and i'm a big newbie to fish so maybe my idea wont work, but i thought this tank that i have built in my head would be absolutely awesome when i get my own place (since apartment renters don't exactly like huge fish tanks).

basically, imagine a ten gallon tank... thats not much. ok now, extend the length so that it runs along two walls in the room, and it can sit on custom cabinents. can you picture it? basically it follows the wall, turns when there is a corner and finishes at the next corner.

of course, once installed, the only way to get it out would be to destroy it... and lighting/filtration would probably be horrendous, but i think it would be worth it.

i'd put a couple different schools of cory cats (my favorite) along with other fishes that don't need tall tanks. and i also figured that the terrain in the tank could vary from open to "forest-like" and other various habitats, and maybe create little cities using different themed decorations in different places... (like create a china area, and then a bayou/new orleans area, and maybe a caribbean area...) it would probably take forever to set up.

i dunno... maybe i am just crazy. i've only had a tank for 6 months now, but i absolutely love it. i'm always reading about fish stuff and i think my college buddies are starting to question my sanity, especially my roommates.

Old 07-12-2004, 08:55 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Sounds like it would be a real cool tank!

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 09:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

thanx
Old 07-13-2004, 12:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
that is a cool idea but maaaaaaaaan thats a lot of money =o)

It might be cheaper to keep that in your head hehe

lyquidphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 03:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to raceguy333
Re: neat tank idea (at least i thing so...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubysoho
i'm always reading about fish stuff and i think my college buddies are starting to question my sanity, especially my roommates.
mine too!
Old 07-15-2004, 05:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mr Burns
hey, i'll keep this in mind for my million dollar fish room . an in-wall might be cheaper, but you'd need rear access to at least three sides of the room. Maybe a room within a room?? I think you could do a wrap-around for three sides of the room, then on each of those three sides, have a large section that drops down so you have greater volume. I don't know if that's clear or not, maybe a sketch would help...
Old 07-15-2004, 05:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeh i got ya... maybe i could take my pretend house with a large room, then do a "while you were out"/"tading spaces" desing thing by making a fake wall on three sides, making sure i give myself extra room to get around back there. that would be pretty cool too
Old 07-15-2004, 05:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well i can't scan in this sketch i did..my printer/scanner is down. this is still a really cool idea!
Old 07-15-2004, 05:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to liquidelusion
sounds really **** cool to me. a bet water changes would be a real pain. def. need a python for this
1 bunch of some sort of crypts
2 powder blue gouramis
1 calico angel juvi
4 zebra danios
4 harlequin rasporas
4 fancy guppies (2 male - blue and red, and 2 female)
1 common pleco
--------------------------
2 juvenile unsexed Eublepharis macularius in a 20 long
liquidelusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 07:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

if you had the resources to build something like this, you'd have the resources to build an automatic water change system. it would actually be quite easy and could do small changes daily. the first idea that popped into my head was to have an external pump hooked up to a timer so that it extracts an exact amount of water each day. the gph of the pump and the duration that the timer is set to turn on the pump would dictate how much water is removed. refiling would be as simple as running a small water line to the tank with a timed valve. a restrictor valve and the timing of the valve would dictate how much water is put back into the tank. of course, you could always have the same pump and timer used for extraction hooked into a large drum of RO water. as long as the pumps and the timing are the same, it shouldn't be a problem.

Tags
eat, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com