neat tank idea (at least i thing so...)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
i'm not sure if this will be a DIYer, and i'm a big newbie to fish so maybe my idea wont work, but i thought this tank that i have built in my head would be absolutely awesome when i get my own place (since apartment renters don't exactly like huge fish tanks).

basically, imagine a ten gallon tank... thats not much. ok now, extend the length so that it runs along two walls in the room, and it can sit on custom cabinents. can you picture it? basically it follows the wall, turns when there is a corner and finishes at the next corner.

of course, once installed, the only way to get it out would be to destroy it... and lighting/filtration would probably be horrendous, but i think it would be worth it.

i'd put a couple different schools of cory cats (my favorite) along with other fishes that don't need tall tanks. and i also figured that the terrain in the tank could vary from open to "forest-like" and other various habitats, and maybe create little cities using different themed decorations in different places... (like create a china area, and then a bayou/new orleans area, and maybe a caribbean area...) it would probably take forever to set up.

i dunno... maybe i am just crazy. i've only had a tank for 6 months now, but i absolutely love it. i'm always reading about fish stuff and i think my college buddies are starting to question my sanity, especially my roommates. :D

that is a cool idea but maaaaaaaaan thats a lot of money =o)

It might be cheaper to keep that in your head hehe

rubysoho said:
i'm always reading about fish stuff and i think my college buddies are starting to question my sanity, especially my roommates. :D

mine too!

hey, i'll keep this in mind for my million dollar fish room :lol: . an in-wall might be cheaper, but you'd need rear access to at least three sides of the room. Maybe a room within a room?? I think you could do a wrap-around for three sides of the room, then on each of those three sides, have a large section that drops down so you have greater volume. I don't know if that's clear or not, maybe a sketch would help...

yeh i got ya... maybe i could take my pretend house with a large room, then do a "while you were out"/"tading spaces" desing thing by making a fake wall on three sides, making sure i give myself extra room to get around back there. that would be pretty cool too :D

well i can't scan in this sketch i did..my printer/scanner is down. this is still a really cool idea!

if you had the resources to build something like this, you'd have the resources to build an automatic water change system. it would actually be quite easy and could do small changes daily. the first idea that popped into my head was to have an external pump hooked up to a timer so that it extracts an exact amount of water each day. the gph of the pump and the duration that the timer is set to turn on the pump would dictate how much water is removed. refiling would be as simple as running a small water line to the tank with a timed valve. a restrictor valve and the timing of the valve would dictate how much water is put back into the tank. of course, you could always have the same pump and timer used for extraction hooked into a large drum of RO water. as long as the pumps and the timing are the same, it shouldn't be a problem.

yeh, but i'd still have to clean up all the fish poop on the substrate... but i think it would be worth it :)

Hey, awesome idea!

I came up with something kind fo cool like that fro my friends' small house- they have a 150 gal tank that they wanted to display in either thier breakfast nook or living room, wich are basically one room and already taken up by a 100 gal tank against one wall. So I hauled their (empty) 150 gal tank and stand out into the room, with one end against the wall and the other stretching out into the room.
This divides the eating area from the living room, and you can see the aquarium from three angles.
Next, we bought four inexpensive faux bamboo blinds and one bamboo mat. We hung the filtration on the back of the aquarium against the wall, and put the canister filter under the tank in the stand. The lights were hung by hooks and chains from the ceiling, and then we hung the bamboo blinds from the ceiling, roll in, so there's a smooth "wall" hiding the chains and lights.
then we hung the other blinds under the aquarium and down to the floor, so you can't see the canister filter or supplies. One the ends we hung the mat that we cut in half and rolled it to fit.
What she has now is a bamboo wall with a reef tank inside so you can see it from three angles and see through it to the other room. To access the tank all she does is pull the cord and the blinds roll up for easy tank care!
If you wanted to do something like that, or want more details on how-to, just ask! It looks amazing.

wow, that sounds really cool too! and maybe muc simpler than making a real "in wall" aqaurium. I'll have to remember that :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom