Need advice (mermaid tank)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J_theBuilder

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everybody, im new here and this is my first post.

As the title suggests Im doing research and trying to find resources on building a mermaid tank. Its something Ive been planning to build for a while. A lot of people Ive met over the years have inspired me to do this. So its going to be a long term project Im definitely passionate about.

My first question is, are there any tutorials online or in a book store on how to construct one? I know how to work with hardware but this kind of project would be a new undertaking for me. I just need to get some better idea's of what kind of framework it has to be and how it all goes together.

Theres the sheets of aquarium glass too. Thats something Ive been putting a significant amount of time and research into. The type im going for is the kind thats used at zoo's and at shamoo's tank at sea world. The glass that tourists peer through to see into the whale tank. Really strong stuff. I cant afford bullet proof glass, but hopefully theres some alternative. Believe it or not google hasn't been much help.

I want this tank to be rectangular in shape. Roughly the size of a small shipping container (not as tall though, definitely shorter in height). Its going to be designed for multiple people. Yes I know, expensive and hard to build. But thats why Im just asking around right now and trying to get information. Its not something that has to be done tomorrow though, this is very long term.

But I figured these forums might be the best place to poke my head in and ask. So I really appreciate everyones time and any advice you can offer.

Thank you.

Hi, welcome to AA.

It's sounds rare to hear of a tank that big. What dimensions are you going for?

ya know, I envisioned it being that big but realistically it probably wont be. When you factor in the price of the glass it kinda draws a sad face on the whole idea. But even so.....

I had the idea to use multiple sheets of glass that cover an area roughly 30 feet across by 10 deep. Now again, multiple sheets, not just 1.
Like I said though its all in the works right now. So this is really just browsing around and getting information.

and thanks Delapool

well for something that big you should use acrylic, probably 4"-6" thick or more.

but either way, you do understand this will be a project that will probably cost in excess of $50,000, don't you?

and where can I get a mermaid?

well for something that big you should use acrylic, probably 4"-6" thick or more.

but either way, you do understand this will be a project that will probably cost in excess of $50,000, don't you?

thats why I wanted to address this question before I started making any big decisions. I had no idea about some of the details so thats why I'm here.

So were really talking about that much water pressure huh? Can you link me to any sites that have more info on acrylic? That would be much appreciated.

and where can I get a mermaid?

built it.... and they will come

then you should actually check this site out as they deal with BIG fish and even BIGGER tanks;
DIY Tanks

there you will find a plethora of information on building your own monster sized tank.
just checked the acrylic calculator and it says you need acrylic 8.5" thick for a tank that size.

just hope you have the bank account for it.

then you should actually check this site out as they deal with BIG fish and even BIGGER tanks;
DIY Tanks

there you will find a plethora of information on building your own monster sized tank.

I appreciate the help, and thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
This will be a process. So I need to figure out what Im going to do before I start calculating the costs.

DIY Tanks

just checked the acrylic calculator and it says you need acrylic 8.5" thick for a tank that size.

one more question while were discussing this. Im into trying to waste anyones time Im just trying to get this right//

If the glass was divided up into sections and bound together at multiple seams with steel bars providing the support, would they still have to be that thick? Theres companies that sell acrylic at 48x96 in inches and they go for right around $800. but thats one inch. If were talking 8 inches I dont even know who sells it like that/. Thats some dense material.

one more question while were discussing this. Im into trying to waste anyones time Im just trying to get this right//

If the glass was divided up into sections and bound together at multiple seams with steel bars providing the support, would they still have to be that thick? Theres companies that sell acrylic at 48x96 in inches and they go for right around $800. but thats one inch. If were talking 8 inches I dont even know who sells it like that/. Thats some dense material.
Yes it would still have to be that thick.. The same amount of psi would be pushing against the glass.

I've seen other tanks like this(bigger!).Search basement aquariums
basement aquariums /energy vampires.
Hope this is helpful!

Yes it would still have to be that thick.. The same amount of psi would be pushing against the glass.

I appreciate the reply but smith was right. Theres quite a bit I should have taken into consideration before addressing these questions. Im new at this so forgive my lack of knowledge.

I did play around with that aquarium calculator. Problem is its complicated. I confess I kinda suck with volumetric math and Im bad at using complex calculators.. But can anybody tell me how thick the plexiglass has to be for these dimensions...,

L - 8 ft
W - 5 ft
H - 5 ft

Well, right around those dimensions. I want to keep this as feasible as possible without going bankrupt. At least for a first project. Seems the more questions I ask and the more I research it the better idea I get about where Im supposed to be (realistically and financially). So Im definitely not aiming for the moon this time.
And thank you. As always any replies are much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom