Need advice re-siliconing a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Enzo954

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I plan on removing the silicone on an older tank I just bought because the silicone isn't looking too good.

I understand the process and what I need to do, but I'm not sure about whether or not I need to remove the top plastic trim before I lay down the new silicone.

Should I leave the top on and just take off as much silicone as possible getting as far up into the trim as I can? I have read that the new layer of silicone won't adhere to older silicone.

or

Should I attempt to remove the top trim before reapplying silicone to the tank? It seems like it's extremely difficult to do. If I get up in there with a knife or razor blade will it pry off? I'm worried that whoever made the tank might have siliconed the trim directly to the top of the glass as well. If that is the case I obviously can't get a razor up there.

Gilcano did an awesome job re sealing a tank I'd probably ask him or look for his thread on doing it .

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Gilcano did an awesome job re sealing a tank I'd probably ask him or look for his thread on doing it .

I saw his thread and I noticed via his pictures that he left the top trim on. It just seems to me that the proper way to do it would be to remove the top to ensure that all of the silicone is new and adheres.

I'm worried that if I leave the top trim on and then try to apply new silicone to the rest of the tank, then where the new and old silicone meet up by the top trim, the seal might not work properly.

When I did mine I took it all the black trim off and completely scrapped mine and resealed it but I didn't do all the taping like he did so im in the process of re sealing it again

When I did mine I took it all the black trim off and completely scrapped mine and resealed it but I didn't do all the taping like he did so im in the process of re sealing it again

Did you have difficulty getting the trim off? That's my biggest concern.

What type of Silicone did you use? I bought the GE 1 Silicone. It seems like everywhere I search people say that this is the one to use.

Yea that was the longest part taking it off . The rest was pretty easy . I bought the ge 1 silicone bc thats what everyone recommended to use

Well I've spent the last 3 hours attempting to get the top cover off and still no luck. Whoever put this tank together must have siliconed every little nook and cranny. What a nightmare.

I'm using razor blades, paint scrapers, knives and brute force. Unfortunately I've crossed the point of no return in my opinion so I'm just going to keep at it. LOL

Don't bother taking the top rim off, just use a razor and scraper to clean all inside corners, than prepare surface with acetone or alcohol, use blue tape to minimize mess, apply bead and (wearing latex gloves) run finger down bead . Easy;)

Back
Top Bottom