Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-17-2007, 11:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Need Guidelines for Building Tank

Hi everyone,
I'm going to try my hand at building my own acrylic fish tank since I have now outgrown by 55 gallon. I know the general rules about any height over 20 inches has to be half inch thickness. The size of the tank and I want to build is 48 x 20 x 24. What I like to know is for the top plate to I really need a center brace instead it being completely open. On my acrylic 55 gallon the center brace gets in the way in anything I do. So if I could eliminate the center brace it would be so much easier to landscape, catch fish, put in a diy background that is a one-piece instead of multiple pieces, etc. By the way how do production tanks get away with their side panes being such a thin thickness. My 55 gallon is 48 x 13 x 20 and it's all made of 1/4 inch thick acrylic.
Looking forward to your ideas and comments,

PMaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:47 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
You don't have to have a center brace if you use euro bracing all the way around the top of the tank. Have a look here http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/s...p_model_e.html I know this isn't a "tank" but it will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. The brace that runs all the way around the tank keeps things square.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Also, acrylic tanks are supposedly 5 times as strong as glass tanks so that would explain why the thickness could be less than glass.
bs6749 is offline   Reply With Quote

build, building, guide, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com