Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Reyjgd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 48
need help building sump

Hey guys IM currently looking for advice help and/or opinions on building a sump ..... I got a 75g Tank and I would b using a 25g as a sump ... I seen slot of threads and YouTube videos on it and to b honest im kind of nervous about it .... As in what pump to use to return the water back on the tank .... Anyways anything will help at this point so thanks in advance !!
__________________

__________________
Reyjgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 34
What is the distance the water will have to be pumped back to the DT from the sump? if the sump will just be sitting underneath the DT then I would recommend going with an internal pump so you dont have to worry about drilling your sump. the majority of internal return pumps for that size system should have no problem handling the height.
__________________

__________________
Get busy living or get busy dying.
angel50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Reyjgd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel50
What is the distance the water will have to be pumped back to the DT from the sump? if the sump will just be sitting underneath the DT then I would recommend going with an internal pump so you dont have to worry about drilling your sump. the majority of internal return pumps for that size system should have no problem handling the height.
It's.gonna b right underneath im guessing I would need a pump rig gt ? I seen a couple vids and I.think I should go with the rio + 250
__________________
Reyjgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flaxon-Waxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 2,788
I'm in the process of building a 30 long for my 75 gallon... Here is my layout and baffles. Baffles are 9" high, the first chamber will be the in with protein skimmer, fuge in chamber 2, and return in the last chamber
__________________
Flaxon-Waxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flaxon-Waxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 2,788
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2437366650.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	134477

Sorry meant to attach this. Anyways, I'm going to run an Eheim compact 2000+ pump for the return and run it around 300 gph so water doesn't blow right by the skimmer.
__________________
Flaxon-Waxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Reyjgd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benamayer

Sorry meant to attach this. Anyways, I'm going to run an Eheim compact 2000+ pump for the return and run it around 300 gph so water doesn't blow right by the skimmer.
Oh I c it u gonna throw the sand in the.middle ?
__________________
Reyjgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Reyjgd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 48
It looks really nice btw
__________________
Reyjgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flaxon-Waxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 2,788
Yes sand and live rock, and probably some chaeto or other macro for nitrate control. This will all be in the middle chamber along with 2- 150 watt heaters laid down. The fuge measured about 16" long, so there's a decent amount of stuff I could pack in there for a 30 gallon...
__________________
Flaxon-Waxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Reyjgd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benamayer
Yes sand and live rock, and probably some chaeto or other macro for nitrate control. This will all be in the middle chamber along with 2- 150 watt heaters laid down. The fuge measured about 16" long, so there's a decent amount of stuff I could pack in there for a 30 gallon...
Should I throw done buffers in there or not my tank is all natural so im indecisive with that ....also I'll b making my own skimmer ...so idk if to either throw the hang on in or actually make my own

Click image for larger version

Name:	skimdes2.gif
Views:	76
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	134494
__________________
Reyjgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flaxon-Waxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 2,788
Buffers? Do u mean baffles?
__________________

__________________
Flaxon-Waxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
build, building, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.