Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-14-2011, 10:22 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: nonya :)
Posts: 84
:0 I didn;t think of that. I'm going with your idea. thank you!
__________________

__________________
vundercoverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Grug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 55
Yeah.. i think Jsoong is on the money with this build.. maybe dont hide the heater in there.. would mean pulling the whole tank apart to replace a dead one.. but definately have circulation down there.. a pump on top of a step. (hidden by rock) blowing into the space at the bottom (which could be filled with live rock rubble) and just a few holes around the place to let the water back out the other side.. but having the pump above the step allows cleaning and replacement without pulling apart the whole landscape of your tank.
__________________

__________________
Aqua one 620T Modified with Aqua one G220 skimmer . 32Gal
Grug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:42 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
kurtyboh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Okinawa, Japan
Posts: 1,413
Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
To give support i think id put another pane at the back of each stair. Then youll support quite a large weight with it
__________________
kurtyboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #24
AA Team Emeritus
 
jsoong's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 4,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grug View Post
Yeah.. i think Jsoong is on the money with this build.. maybe dont hide the heater in there.. would mean pulling the whole tank apart to replace a dead one.. but definately have circulation down there.. a pump on top of a step. (hidden by rock) blowing into the space at the bottom (which could be filled with live rock rubble) and just a few holes around the place to let the water back out the other side.. but having the pump above the step allows cleaning and replacement without pulling apart the whole landscape of your tank.
Or you can just plan for it with a small door, removable section so you can still get into the "sump" without taking the tank apart. Then you can have your equipment hidden inside the compartment. You want to be able to vac out the interior of the sump from time to time anyway, so some planned easy access is a good thing.
__________________
80 gal FW with 30 gal DIY wet/dry/sump.
9 fancy golds, 1 hillstream loaches, 1 rubber-lip pleco (C. thomasi), 3 SAEs, small school of white cloud minnows, planted.
jsoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:50 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mr. Limpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern California (Marin)
Posts: 4,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
Cool design, I like the concept of the stepped base along the front. But why not make the whole thing out of High grade acrylic? The steps would be easier, no wood rot and if done correctly the cavity underneath could house equipment like a canister filter with in line heater, air pump, etc. The bonus would be that the clear fronts/dark base edges could be welded together (it's glue, but it's kinda like welding metal) and then you wouldn't have an issue with getting the edges absolutely perfect. You could even have the 2 fronts custom cut and formed so it would be seamless at the apex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoong View Post
Or you can just plan for it with a small door, removable section so you can still get into the "sump" without taking the tank apart. Then you can have your equipment hidden inside the compartment. You want to be able to vac out the interior of the sump from time to time anyway, so some planned easy access is a good thing.
Yep, only I was thinking a canister might be a better choice since it would be easy to hide every thing under the stepped base. Would a sump be a lot of work to maintain Jsoong?
__________________
Mr. Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:34 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus
 
jsoong's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 4,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
Yep, only I was thinking a canister might be a better choice since it would be easy to hide every thing under the stepped base. Would a sump be a lot of work to maintain Jsoong?
A sump can be easy or hard, depends on how you make it. I was not suggesting using a sump filter (or any suggestion of filter - that depends on the fish load & the OP's preference, but for a neat design, a canister is definitely a good idea.) I was just calling the space under the acrylic steps a sump, for lack of a better word.
__________________
80 gal FW with 30 gal DIY wet/dry/sump.
9 fancy golds, 1 hillstream loaches, 1 rubber-lip pleco (C. thomasi), 3 SAEs, small school of white cloud minnows, planted.
jsoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:45 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mr. Limpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern California (Marin)
Posts: 4,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoong View Post
A sump can be easy or hard, depends on how you make it. I was not suggesting using a sump filter (or any suggestion of filter - that depends on the fish load & the OP's preference, but for a neat design, a canister is definitely a good idea.) I was just calling the space under the acrylic steps a sump, for lack of a better word.
Gotcha. That makes sense and I completely agree with you in making good use of that space would add to the unique/clean design the OP is envisioning.
__________________
Mr. Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: nonya :)
Posts: 84
All great ideas guys jsoong i was thinking of having an acces panel above the 1st step so when i clean i could stick a syphon down there a clean dirty water. The canister is a very good idea Mr. limphet but i havent used them before so i would have to read into it. Thanks guys! Building unfortunately will have to begin after the summer because of travel but when i do start i will deff post pictures!
__________________

__________________
vundercoverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
130g, 30 gallon, build, building, design, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tank design ilostnemo DIY Projects 0 12-15-2010 10:03 PM
Tank design Drzy General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 4 12-04-2007 10:17 PM
Building a new home and need advice on building in aquarium Deepfish Mode Member Introductions 7 10-21-2007 04:03 AM
Please Help with tank design cuthbert80 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 1 09-06-2004 09:53 AM
New 130G.. Somethingfishy Show Off/Photography 17 12-04-2002 11:36 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.