Need Help Wiring Ballast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NightSpirit

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an advance F-can ballast for a 175w metal halide bulb.

I bought a powercord for it at wallmart, but all it says is that the ribbed wire is the neutral wire.

The ballast has 4 wires comming out of it. A red and white wire that go to the lamp, and a 277v yellow wire and a 120v black wire.

I assume that it doesn't matter which wires the red and white wires connect to as long as they connect to the bulb socket.

My question though is which wires do I connect to the powercord? Do I connect the 120v back wire on the ballast to the neutral wire on the powercord?

TIA

Look for a schematic for the ballast. Search the internet if you have to. MORE THAN LIKELY (do not attempt until you are sure. The red and white to to the lamp,the black is hot the the yellow is neutral. Your ground wire off the powercord should attach to the frame or base of the balast. If this is a raw F can ballast I suggest putting it in a metal gangbox and ground to the box. But make sure first!

R-

The red one goes to the the center of the the socket, the white one goes to the "shell" the part the the bulb screws into and to neutral. The black is youe "hot" lead and the YELLOW is not used. It is for 277 volt, do not connect this wire to anything.

If you need any help on this PM me.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom