Need help with leaky hex tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattycakesclark

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got this nice hex tank (24" tall, 18 " wide) at a garage sale for 10$
I half expected a leaker, and it was. It has a healthy leak, now I need some advice on reseal.
What is the success rate of just resealing the inner seal? I think I would be up for taking apart a rectangle tank and doing a whole reseal, but this hex is odd and looks like it would be very difficult to to take the panes apart and reseal them all.

4803648650_533b65f2df.jpg

moz-screenshot.png
4803018705_d8544747a4.jpg

4803648794_0e5fd1b344.jpg

i say instead of taking it all apart and completely resealing it, just patch that spot with silicone. nice tank btw, it's a 27 gal, i have one too :D

A patch won't hold IMO. Old silicone doesn't adhere well to new.

You'll need to strip the seals from the inside of the tank as completely as you can. Use a razor blade and get as much of it off as possible. Clean every seam with rubbing alcohol afterward to get it as clean as you can. When you reseal, wear gloves and apply the silicone pretty liberally. Smooth the silicone down with your finger. You can use masking tape to make straight lines with your silicone if you want to. I've never separated the panes of glass before and this method has not failed me yet. :)

A patch won't hold IMO. Old silicone doesn't adhere well to new.

You'll need to strip the seals from the inside of the tank as completely as you can. Use a razor blade and get as much of it off as possible. Clean every seam with rubbing alcohol afterward to get it as clean as you can. When you reseal, wear gloves and apply the silicone pretty liberally. Smooth the silicone down with your finger. You can use masking tape to make straight lines with your silicone if you want to. I've never separated the panes of glass before and this method has not failed me yet. :)

Yep, this has worked for me as well... Also, if you have a sensitive nose, you might want to work in a well ventilated area, and as hard as it is, dont stick your head in the tank. I did on one of my reseal projects and lost a few nose hairs

Back
Top Bottom