Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-25-2007, 10:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to papa_bear_21
Need some ideas for left over plexi glass...

Hey all, we just finished our tank lid, and have a 2 foot by 2 foot section left over. I was wanting to build something with this, but I am not sure what. We have a 55 gallon tank, with 3 pleco's in it, and I was thinking about making a tunnel for them. The only problem there is, I have no way to afix it to the bottom of the tank, but I know that they need some other places to hide. I would like to hear some ideas from some of you folks who may have built something already. Also, where can I find aquarium same silicone?

Thank you in advance,

papa_bear_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Silicone can be obtained from any hardware store. I will let someone else tell you what type as there are kinds that are unsafe there as well. It's some number, but I never remembered it.

theotheragentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
How about a nano tank with the left-over plexi? Some crazy shape / design....

For silicone, I went and got GE silicone 1 Window and Door sealant. There were a couple options, just be sure you don't get the one with 'mold inhibitor'.
"... if any one specie does not become modified and improved in a corresponding degree with its competitors, it will soon be exterminated." - Charles Darwin
evercl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This might be a good time for me to clear this up, but i thought that silicon dosen't bond well with acrylic/plexiglass? I was under the impression that you needed acrylic glue and it can be somewhat of a pain with bubbles and such in larger aplications.

If your just making a tube in the tank for a Pleco then silicon will hold it down just fine, but it wouldn't hold the seams on a tank, even a small one i think?

So you might want to think about that if i'm thinking correctly.
-Lady Astor: "Winston, if I were your wife I'd put poison in your coffee."

-Winston Churchill: "Nancy, if I were your husband I'd drink it."
Smaug21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to papa_bear_21
I am not sure exactly what to make, am wanting to make something that will sit in the tank, that we can sit decorations ontop of. A shelf of sorts...it wont be attached to the tank itself, but will need to hold some weight...
papa_bear_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
It's Silicone type I. Any 100% silicone type I or 1 is good. Type II is the killer... neither adheres to plexi for long, you guys are right about that. You can heat form a tunnel with a propane torch or heat gun, and silicone that to the bottom of the tank which will be fine, but it probably would just rest in the gravel no problem, without the sili...

You may want to keep that plexiglass for a replacement when your current lids start to bow, which should be any day now... I tried 3/8" polycarbonate almost 1/2" thick and it STILL bowed after a few days, especially if you have lights on top to soften them...

Sicklid is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com