Need some input on DIY plumbing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well it made a HUGE difference. I could turn up the flow on my Mag 9.5 quite a bit compared to what I was able to do with the 1" setup. The ball valve is only reducing maybe %20 or so I'd say.

Here's a size comparison of the 1.25" and 1". I actually had to trim down the Tee fitting on the 1.25" setup so that the street ell would fit closer to the standpipe. It was too large to fit into the overflow.

img_1190534_0_a4b126453aefb29503254c9ed2d6f0be.jpg

Complete with bulkhead. Measures right at 24" from top of bulk to top of end cap. Endcap has a 3/32" hole in it.

img_1190534_1_26b0f0dd26fd7e3a5667bb07af9ea09c.jpg

Correct. The only noise i hear is a little bit of a trickle from the water coming over the overflow. I could go a little larger hole in the end cap to raise the water level and help with it but its working so well now I don't want to mess with it. Haha!

Things can't be this easy right? :D

It's back to gurgling. I've done a ton of reading on this and it sounds like this is a common problem and that it takes some serious tuning to get the setup right?

It seems like any minimal change can throw off the standpipe tuning. It's back to the water level in the overflow going up and down and then occasionally it gets low enough to gurgle. From what I've read that means the hole in the end cap is too small. I'm also getting a massive amount of bubbles in the sump but I think that's because my return line in the sump is like 4-5" under the water line? I'm thinking about just hard plumbing from the bulk into the sump.

I guess I'll do some more playing with the end cap holes to see what I can come up with.

I played with the Durso system for over a year before giving up. <See my reply to you in your other thread.> the main problem is that your pump output changes ... with evaporation (so different water level in the sump), a bit of dirt or algae, etc... Even if you get the Durso perfectly tuned, it goes off after a few days ... so I am forever making the hole bigger & smaller. I finally tried an adjustable "hole". I siliconed an airline tubing in a larger hole in the cap, and attached that to a needle valve so I can control the siphon. that worked, except that I have to fiddle with the valve every day or 2 .... So now I run a 2 standpipe full siphon setup & have to do an adjustment maybe once a month.

I was looking at the full siphon setup with the second overflow and that seemed like a decent setup but that means I'd have to tear my setup apart and rebuild it which is not something I want to do right now. I'll most likely just deal with the Durso for now and see how it goes. I added a 1/16" hole last night to the cap and that seemed to help quite a bit. I'm sure it'll be different today :D

i never used these pipes. i just ran a piece of tubing partially down the drain (i got this idea from various HOB overflow boxes that come with a piece of rigid airline tubing for this purpose) until i hear it get quiet, then taped it off somewhere.
air and water are mixing and that's why you hear the noise. if the air is sucked through a tube (correctly sized...something larger than airline tubing might be necessary) and not mixed with the water going down, it's quiet.

Back
Top Bottom