Need to build up stand for 210 gal reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogger19

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,I bought a 210 gallon tank and stand off Craigslist. I need the tank to sit about a foot higher than the stand so it is even with the bar top. There will Also be a55 gallon sump tank sitting in the bottom. My question is should I just build this stand up or should I build an entirely new stand? Pictures attached.

Attachments

• image-716490886.jpg
    image-716490886.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 222
  • image-524597462.jpg
    image-524597462.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 191
Personally I'd just go ahead and build a new stand to suit the are you want to put it in. I'm sure the old stand is solid but adding on to it just doesn't seem like it would work very well and would be difficult to match new with the existing. By building a new stand you can make sure to leave enough room for a sump and any plumbing you'll need.

Divided to build a new one.... Here it is so far. I stall have a bunch if bracing to do on the bottom.

Attachments

• image-4249060179.jpg
    image-4249060179.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 182
I don't want to come across rude but I would be worried to use that stand on such a huge tank. The reason i say this is because all your weight is being distributed to the Screws or nails you are using. The frame of the tank will rest on the rails you have which are not supported by the braces but by the screws going into the braces. 210g is pushing 2000 lbs, I've built a couple big stands and would be nervouse about using this one long term.

I don't want to come across rude but I would be worried to use that stand on such a huge tank. The reason i say this is because all your weight is being distributed to the Screws or nails you are using. The frame of the tank will rest on the rails you have which are not supported by the braces but by the screws going into the braces. 210g is pushing 2000 lbs, I've built a couple big stands and would be nervouse about using this one long term.

I doubled up each 2x6 upright support is that one. Is directly under the LVL trust and one is screwed into the inside of the trust. I am going to drive 4 lag bolts through each upright as well

Attachments

• image-2716464939.jpg
    image-2716464939.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 155
Back
Top Bottom