Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-16-2006, 11:23 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
I have fixed leaks by resealing the inside, and so far after 13 years, the tanks are still not leaking. Do strip off all the old inner seam, as silicone doesn't stick to old silicone very well, and it isn't worth the risk. for the extra 20 minutes, it will be well worth your while. It isn't necessary to rmove the pane for small leaks.

Join a fish club. Don't have one in your area? Start one.
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:10 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, so my plan was to strip all the seals in the tank and re-silicone them. I've done that before and I'm confident I can do it again. However, I have never actually taken the panes of glass apart and to be honest I'm not really comfortable with doing that. Jeez, maybe I should just buy a new tank. :P I guess I will go ahead with the easy plan, and let it sit in the garage full of water for a week or so and see what happens. I'm not trying to blow off anyone's advice and again, I appreciate everyone's point of view.

Defekt- if I wake up one day to 55 gallons of water in my living room, I will gladly accept an "I told you so!"

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:15 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
the inner seam is what stops the leaks not the silicon that is put where the glass goes together the glass panels are siliconed so the glass aint rubbing glass and helps hold it together but the inside silicon is the most inportint part in my book my tank is 72x 18 and i didnt take it all apart and i had a leak threw the seam but the inside silicon was coming off would be to hard to take apart and put back togher that size tank

kickeralpine is offline   Reply With Quote

5 gallon, 55 gallon, seal

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com