New 281 galon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hristaky

Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ok
I am king of new here but i wish to ask for some advice.
I never looked at saltwater/reef aquariums but rescently i got realy interested in them. I have gotten together some money. Atm 450USD
I want to make a 5' long by 3' tall by 2.5' wide reef aquarium. I will make everything myself. So far i figured out i need 12mm glass since the tank will wigh app 1 ton when full (281usg)

Here is my idea for lighting
2 separate canopies each holding 2 coralife 50/50 24"VHOs and 10 white LEDs + 4 blue leds to make moon lighting.

For filtering i think 2 x emperor 400 biowheels and a seaclone 150 protein skimmer will do.

any ideas on the lighting will help as I am not sure if that will be enough light for corals??? please note im a big n00b (this is my 1st saltware aq) in saltwater and know next to nothing so any advice is appreciated
thanks
chris

WELCOME TO AQUARIUM ADVICE!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros:

just a few things...

garf.org recomends .5 inch glass for that size tank.. that would be about 12.7 mm.

a seaclone 150 is very undersized for a 150 gallon tank.. I would recomend looking into a DIY protein skimmer (one suffecent enough for that size tank would be pricy)

a good skimmer, LR (LR+baserock), sand, 15-20 total cycles per hour of water flow and possibly the addition of a refugium is what is recomended for SW filtration

low light coarls.. such as mushrooms and softys usually need at least 3-4 watts per gallon.. high light coarls need 6 watts per gallon + of lighting.. MH has it own set of rules if your intrested in setting that up....

btw.. the above advice was keeping a relitivly low budget in mind.. if you have some spare $$$ I could suggest pre-fab equipment that would be sutible for that size tank..

Back
Top Bottom