New canopy question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bennett85

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 gallon reef and I'm thinking about making a canopy. My question is with a canopy and lights in the canopy should I keep the glass lid on? Or can I take it off and not have the moister mess up my T5 HO light. Thanks for your advise ahead of time.

I'd encourage you to remove the glass lid regardless if you had a canopy or not. By removing the lid you get better gas exchange and a healthier tank. Since you're going to have a caopy anyway, you'll be fine without it.

So what is gas exchange and why do I need it? Also what about the evaporation loss from a uncovered tank? It just seems like I would have a lot of water evaporate every day.

A glass lid should still have some openings to allow for air movement and gas exchange, usually in the closeout piece. It will lessen evaporation, and prevent fish from jumping from the tank. It will also keep your lighting dry. With a canopy, you will lesse the jumping losses, but they are usually open along the back.

So anyone have any good pictures of a hood they have made that they would not mind if I took a few ideas from?

I made a simple frame then skinned it with cherry veneer ply. Then used cherry moldings to finish it off. Coat the interior with a water resistant paint and clear coat. I sealed the exterior with polyurethane. Initially my lights sat on the bottom frame but the last light upgrade I modified the canopy to suspend the light from aluminum square stock. The lights easy lift out of the canopy very easy by these "handles" and make it very easy to get into the tank when needed.

img_1960469_0_230ed25df90213325d1a6349951964ad.jpg

img_1960469_1_a12ad3d75189735e2e8d73ffe3145d1c.jpg

img_1960469_2_601b2fc1148e0e0bc605c07ce401f411.jpg

img_1960469_3_acdd835468d7c62f2c1bbb6add793bee.jpg

That looks good. I found some spray paint that is aluminum colored. I tested it out and it comes out with a very reflective shine. I will try it out in the inside. But how do you keep fish from
Jumping out the back?

That looks good. I found some spray paint that is aluminum colored. I tested it out and it comes out with a very reflective shine. I will try it out in the inside. But how do you keep fish from
Jumping out the back?

Just enclose the back and skin all sides.

I didn't have any issues with fish jumping initially but did end up with some losses and made a barrier with egg crate. If you box it in completely you should add a few vents for air flow and add some fans to avoid moisture condensation within the canopy and to reduce heat.

Jumping out the back?

Tests have proven that the best colour for light reflection, when using paint, is white.

Well I think this weekend I will build the hood. Thanks for the advice I will let you know how it turns out.

Well I was looking at a lot of ideas for a hood and then realized it needed to match the stand. I got the stand from a LFS and it just plain. So I tried to make it look like they belonged together. Maybe soon I can make a new stand and hood that I like. For this one I just used wood and paint that I had around. It will work for now. I also redid my rock work. I also took off the glass lid like some of you suggested.

Attachments

• image-2279811254.jpg
    image-2279811254.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 66
  • image-984310744.jpg
    image-984310744.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 75
  • image-1973137241.jpg
    image-1973137241.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 74
Back
Top Bottom