new diy filter media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbird79

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok here shortly im goin to make my own canister filter. I was wondering what kind of media everyone uses. I goin to try to my everything myself so any diy media or non lfs media would be appreciated.

You can get 6 of those plastic pot scrubbers for $1 at Target right now...I just stocked up! I also use ceramic rings and polyfill in diy canister. :)

Hey can someone explain how exactly you'd do a DIY filter in the first place?

I just googled it u will find all the info u want.

Okay I'll google it ^^ I just wanted to put this out there, and I know it's really off topic, but I'm going to post a thread explaining pH, for anyone who wants to know what it is! It's fun to know things like that! I'll also be explaining hard and soft water and the difference between the two ^^

I use pot scrubbies, pollyfill and car wash sponges. Works just as well as the stuff designed for filters. Don't use kitchen/bathroom sponges. They can have antibacterial properties.

Mumma.of.two said:
I use pot scrubbies, pollyfill and car wash sponges. Works just as well as the stuff designed for filters. Don't use kitchen/bathroom sponges. They can have antibacterial properties.

I think that is exactly what im goin to use.

Anyone have any ideas on the canister its self. I want to be clear but i can find anything big enough. I found a 5 gal bucket but for this project i want something alil smaller. Its only goin on my 40 tank. If it works good then ill use the bigger one for a tank ill be building later.

I don't think I'll invest in this project, I'd be too worried that I'd mess something up and it'll kill my fish...or worse I won't be worried and then it will kill them...haha I guess I'm hopeless! ^^

Well when i get done ill post a how to and the results every week or so

Some kid, on youtube, made a canister filter out of one of these. Idk if you mind spending $20 but it def looks like it will last.

http://boaterscentral.com/otterbox-9000-series-blue-waterproof-case-p-8650.html

I'm sure there is something out there, for a lot less, if you just keep your eyes open. I'm looking for a nice canister as well. I might spend under $20 but I'd rather it be free:)
Whatever I use has to be good material.

Keep us posted and gl!

I just saw the dimentions on that canister and its small! There must be other sizes because the one I saw used was fairly large...at least 10" tall

I guess its not as big as I thought.

I saw that i was thinking alil bigger. But free is always good dont mind spending alil though

That looks pretty good i might try that. My filter is goin on a 40gal tank so it doesnt have to be to big

I did my own filtration and found some really sweet canisters! You can get them at any plumbing wholesale place. Here I'll post a pic for you. Sorry it's dark, and don't mind the popcorn pail. That's for changing the filters so the water doesn't go very where. Lol! The second pic is the box they come in. They go anywhere from $10-20 here in Canada.

Attachments

• image-948134311.jpg
    image-948134311.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 184
  • image-182946779.jpg
    image-182946779.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 198
Mlani said:
I did my own filtration and found some really sweet canisters! You can get them at any plumbing wholesale place. Here I'll post a pic for you. Sorry it's dark, and don't mind the popcorn pail. That's for changing the filters so the water doesn't go very where. Lol! The second pic is the box they come in. They go anywhere from $10-20 here in Canada.

Nice. Thanks for sharing.

I looked at those i just didnt think they were big enough

jbird79 said:
I looked at those i just didnt think they were big enough

How big is your tank!? These filters are designed to do whole houses. They're not small.

Back
Top Bottom