new diy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timber5115

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm trying to put together a new tank on a budget. I have used glass window panes. the dimensions of the glass panes are almost all different. they are 1 @16"x 28"; 2 @ 16"x24"; 2 @ 14" x 36"; 1 @ 12" x 36" and 1 that is 30" x 39" with a score mark at abut 31". My plan originally was to build a 36 x 14 x 12 and connect with a sump refugium underneath. I have a chicago electric clear water pump the has a 330gph rate. so far no lighting. After figuring out cost of running the pump at about 44$ a month I trying something I have not seen yet. I need feedback as to whether putting the fuge behind the tank sharing a common wall that would leave a 3" gap on both sides open for water flow work. I plan on using some acrylic to cover the gap so fish wont get in the fuge. I'm hoping to be able to make it a reef tank. Do you think I can get a good flow using powerheads, or is this idea just dumb and doomed from the getgo.
I'm not worried so much about 1 time purchases as I am about monthly cost to electric, I want that money to go the other upkeep costs.
Any Ideas.

Oh the size this way is 36" by 14" and 24" deep with a 28" pane two-thirds of the way back.

Like I said I haven't figured out the lighting yet.

I too am concerned with the thickness of glass. The glass will break under the pressure. Especially with the sizes you have cut. But your idea of having water flow between tanks is doable.

Back
Top Bottom