New Lights and old Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dyami

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a single 50/50 actinic 48" ballast right now, and I have plans to get a new light. Pretty much from everything I have read, that really needs to be the next upgrade on my tank.

Price range wise, I have been eye balling a dual satellite. I think that will be enough for what I am doing right now anyway. I want to do for the most part a FOWLR tank, and some inverts. I guess the big question I have is though would the ballast I have right now be enough for a refuge.? I would like to add one. For now anyway. I am saving for a whole new system later on. I want to go to a bigger tank within a year. I am basically using the 55 gal as a learning curve before I invest in something larger that I will make look a little better.

Right now the tank I have is mounted on a 2x4 frame with no hood or covers of any kind and really isn't the most appealing to look at.

But it works for now and gives me something to learn with and get familiar with how everything works together. Later on I am going to do an inwall set-up as I am finishing a part of the basement and the main room will be my new bedroom. I want to have the tank built in to display in my room.

That looks pretty good to me. It is also about $50 cheaper than the satellite too.
It says it has independant switches, how about timers? I would like to set up the lights on timers to try to keep a happy tank.

I bought my timers from wal mart for around $15.

**** that is a good price. i wish i could find a couple of good canadian sites so i wouldnt get killed in the shipping charges. you know of any roka? i am also looking for lights

I have a single 50/50 actinic 48" ballast right now...

I guess the big question I have is though would the ballast I have right now be enough for a refuge.?

What ballast is it? The bulb is 50/50 actinic 48" long. What kind of ballast is it?

I have a single 100w CF bulb (uses 23w) over my fuge. I have been using these bulbs for a little over a year now and am very happy with how my macro is growing.

Just to add to this what about light position? I have it directly over top of the tank as far forward as I can get it, this makes the back much darker, but looks better up front to look at.

I have seen many tank pictures that have the light standing off the tank about 6" or so. I was just wondering if it was personal preferance or for purpose.

Back
Top Bottom