Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2003, 04:16 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Newbie

HD 65W LOA's

Anemoneman , I'm new to this forum and i just read your thread on the HD 65W LOA's . I'm currently building a canopy for my 44 gal. Hex and i'd like to know the results of your experiment. 1) Did the holes help with heat dissipation. 2) Are the bulbs still working. 3) What are the effects on your reef. Thanks in advance.

David

Old 03-19-2003, 06:22 PM   #32
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
I have two of these on a 20 long refugium. On a'fuge they work pretty good. One has holes drilled in the top. I had to drill more holes than in the pics. It was so hot you didn't want to rest your hand on top. I ended up drilling another row of holes down the center and some on either side. It helped (a little).
Now the other one is a different story! I drilled a 3" hole in the top and mounted a fan on there. I drilled a row of holes on either side of the lens and some holes around the ballast area. The fan effectively pulls ALL the hot air out of the bulb and ballast area. I have a feeling this light will last indefinitely where the one with just the holes will burn out in a year or so. So if you are going to use these lights, buy fans and so what I did. If you're interested I'll take some pics.

As far as using them on a reef tank. They are 6500K and are a good deal yellower than I would like. If you could supplement them with actinic I think they would be fine. They are very bright. On a 20 long or a 29 tall, they fit perfectly across the top.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-19-2003, 08:22 PM   #33
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
I would like to see pics of them with fans mounted in them. How much was the total project?
Old 03-19-2003, 09:54 PM   #34
AA Team Emeritus

Fan $28 http://www.hellolights.com/fan31.html
LOA 65W 6500K $39
Old 03-19-2003, 09:55 PM   #35
AA Team Emeritus

Refugium. Lousy pic but you get the idea.
Old 03-20-2003, 12:01 AM   #36
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Does it effect the temp of the water in the tank at all??
Old 03-20-2003, 12:37 AM   #37
AA Team Emeritus

Hard to tell since it shares water with the 29 above it. The lite w/fan probly adds little heat, the other one is quite the heater
Old 05-06-2003, 11:46 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
I have a question, I have a 29G Freshwater tank, planted and have CO2, but won't actually use it until I get the light situation done, and like the idea of DIY lighting. I want to go to Lowles or Home Depot, would this light set up work for me? What is everyone's opinions as what I should do? Thanks all!
Old 05-07-2003, 05:17 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay I went and bought the lights by america, 65 watts, 6825 Lumens for only 30 bucks. This is for the 29G freshwater planted tank. I got impatient - I am dying to see if this light set up would work, going to add a fan on top of it though. My one question, other than should I not be doing this? is when you drilled holes for ventilation, did you drill it just for the light portion? olt did the ballast part of it need it as well? I am going to try to make a hood for it, possibly making them go the opposite way than the prior hood arrangment. I can't really decide, can someone tell me if this is a good idea or not? thanks!
Old 05-07-2003, 09:50 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay this may sound dumb, but I want to set the LoA 65 watt up. I am lost thought when it comes to the part of it turning on.... what did you do? I mean do you have to dissassemble the light detector on it, then hook it up to a regular plus so it can be powered by the outlet? thanks!

Tags
light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com