Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-08-2003, 06:46 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
okay yeah that makes sense, thanks mark, definate kudos! I will go ahead and get the other light to make the dual lighted hood. The nice part about having or using two lights is that they pretty much have to use the orientation as you have in on your tank, meaning the "skeletal hood" shouldn't be too difficult to make. As for the lights themselves, I definately agree that the light holder is junk, I'm worried it would literally melt away, even with a fan in it. I realized I would need to use reflector tape for the background, but you have an awesome idea/trick to hold the ballast steady!! - Once I complete everything, the "skeletal hood" and am back in G-ville where my digital camera is, I will take shots and show the results. Thanks everyone!!!

Old 05-08-2003, 08:12 PM   #52
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
I think your acrylic frame work is an excellent idea. Make sure it is thick enough to be a good support. If you could simply make a false rim to go on top of your tank, that would space the lights up. They fit so nice in a 12" wide tank that is shouldn't take much to do the job. Glad you're having fun. Your tank will be BRIGHT and the plants will go nuts.

Mark

Old 05-09-2003, 03:29 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

I relooked about the ballast support, and don't quite see the bulb sagging. If the reflector is taken out, but the ballast housing is screwed back in.. wedged back in correctly... I can't see the housing being unstable.. to let the bulb sag, unless it pops out of position. Where the housing goes, there is a minor molded part of the inner structure where the housing goes behind... so for extra security I think I will tape it or screw it in so there is no chance for the housing to fall, or sag (poping out). As for the Fan, I've seen CPU fans which are more powerful, should I use those.. or is it the noise level are too high... actually now that I think of it... what CFM would be sufficient to keep the light cool? Thanks, I start construction of the "skeletal" hood today, yay! Just gotta get up at a decent hour!
Old 05-10-2003, 05:39 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

How is the ballast supported for the LoA 68 watt lights?, I finally saw the bulb sag right after my friend helped me complete the DIY wood hood. thanks!
Old 05-10-2003, 05:54 PM   #55
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
You can't use a CPU fan necause they are 12VDC. You need a fan that is 120VAC so it can be wired in parallel with the light. You may have some difficulty finding a 3" fan that is not DC. I know Grainger has them. I got mine out of a scrap bin at work.
The "ballast" is just an electronic circuit board held in place behind the white plasic housing. Take it apart and you will see. Securing everything together with more screws sounds like a good idea. Make sure to use stainless steel screws so they don't rust.

Mark
Old 05-10-2003, 07:53 PM   #56

Electrobes,

If you want, I will get you the directions on how to run all of your cpu fans on an old computer power supply mounted remotely...It is way cheaper and you can get more bang for you buck these days doing that...You can get turbo fans for computers these days, that out perform a/c fans of the same size, for around $12 to $20 bucks, the IceCap fans are $40 for one. You can go with the a/c fans however, if you don't want to DIY the fans...
Old 06-02-2003, 04:19 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm in Michigan, and can't find these 65 watters at any of the suggested stores (home depot, lowes, walmart, kmart, etc) ...

does anyone have an online source for them?

Electrobes, I have a 29gal planted too, do you have some pics of how bright yours is ... does the light make it into all the nooks and crannies?

I currently am using a diy hood with 4x 17watt fluorescents overdriven 2x for about 130 watts of light total, and there are still some dark shadows toward the bottom, plus the bulbs get sooo hot they need fans or you can't touch them.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:59 AM   #58
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Have you checked the Home Depot website? I'm thinking you can order from there and have things shipped to you...not sure though.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:21 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, how about that!

darn home depot - it's a conspiracy!

I searched their site for fluorex, using my home zip code ... it comes up with the 13 and 27 watt models, same thing comes up for detroit area

so, I tried dallas, tx zip code ... it comes up with different models, still not the powerhouse

so, I tried denver, co ... bingo!

If I'm ordering online, what difference does it make what my zip code is, other than for calculating shipping charges.

I'll have to visit my area's store and see if they can order these (doubt it) ... I guess I could try ordering from the denver website and see what happens... nope, their website won't let me do it ... **** it
Old 06-02-2003, 12:35 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

here's a good one...

I called HD's customer service 800#, and spoke with a supervisor.

They claimed that since the company has chosen for "whatever" reason to not sell a product to a certain market, there is no way to obtain that product short of driving to anohter market.

They must get lots of stoners calling them asking where can I buy these super lights, man!

Yet another reason drugs are bad ... they stop me from buying cheap lights for my fish tanks

Tags
light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com