Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2003, 03:15 AM   #81
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
Okay I learned something new too.. mogul based the lights are (haha sounded like yoda). My question on top I guess (to clarify, and only speaking of the bulbs) is that can I buy mogul based flourescent bulbs like the LoA bulbs, will it work?? Plus IU am a bit confused as to why the prices of these bulbs can be so different... http://www.naturallighting.com/compa...ut_compact.cfm

for instance.. If I wanted a 65 watt bulb to replace the LoA bulbs.. one bulb goes for 35 bucks while another goes for 70 bucks! Can someone explain to me why this is? If this replacement bulb idea works.. then that would just be sweeeeet! But for some reason I have my doubts that I am missing something big. Thanks again everyone!

Old 06-22-2003, 01:58 PM   #82
Aquarium Advice Addict

hmm

I'm sure LoA went to great lengths to make their bulb, fixture and ballast as propritary as possible, so I doubt you could use another brand bulb in the same system

you'll notice some of the bulbs on that website you mentioned are "two piece" and some are "one piece / self ballasted" ... the self ballasted bulbs are like the regular compact fluorescents you can buy anywhere, but just higher wattage

the two piece bulbs come with a ballast that you mount somewhere, and then the bulb connects to the ballast via the mogul socket ... the replacement 65 watt bulb with the mogul they sell _might_ run with the LoA ballast, but it's $35, which costs as much or more than a complete LoA floodlight, which gets you a bulb and a ballast

Old 06-26-2003, 12:41 AM   #83
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you think the LoAs are comparable with the lights that website sells? I just want to make sure my plants get what they need
Old 06-26-2003, 01:51 AM   #84
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, "probably" ...

there are only so many ways to mix doped phopshours (which is what fluorescents use) ... so if the kelvin rating is similar, the spectra is going to be similar ... some expensive "full spectrum" lights have additional phopshours in them to "fill out" the spectra, instead of just relying on rgb color spikes like most "cheaper" bulbs do ... but if you're just growing freshwater plants, they don't care ... as long as it's bright, 'white' and 10 to 12 hrs, they're happy ... it's up to the human to choose what lights look best for their tastes

if you like the color of the LoA lights 'under-water', then you're good to go.

-----
check out

http://www.aquabotanic.com/lightcompare.htm

and

http://trickstr.tripod.com/lighting.htm
Old 06-26-2003, 04:57 AM   #85
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Replacement LOA bulb at Home Depot...bought one yesterday...$12.00.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:33 AM   #86
Aquarium Advice Addict

nice! I thought I would have to be paying something like 30 bucks per new.. after these lights go out I would have just bought the freakin' new compact flo's!
Old 06-28-2003, 04:02 PM   #87
Aquarium Advice Addict

w00t! I found the replacement bulbs at Home depot for 12 bucks just as said! This is awesome... I show my friends the hood being turned on and they feel like the presence of God hath cometh beforeth them! I feel better not that I didn't have to spend about 150 for a compact flo. set, instead my total came to about 80 bucks (2 X LoA 65 watt outdoor lights (30 bucks each) and 2 X 65 watt replacement bulbs (at 12 bucks each)). This has made my day a lot better! Now if only that hood I made would magically fit...
Old 06-28-2003, 04:58 PM   #88

I think it is amazing how a thread started by me about these lights have now received 2294 views and 80+ posts...Whoo hoo! I hope LOA stays away from here, I wouldn't want them raising the prices on the fixtures like all of the other manufacturers of lights, just because this is a hobby...
Old 06-28-2003, 05:36 PM   #89
Aquarium Advice Addict

hehe agreed.. what sucks is that I actually did a search on google once for LoA lights after the beginning of this forum, and it actually showed this thread!
Old 06-28-2003, 10:09 PM   #90
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I thought I should tell you guys about something involving these lights and a lot of luck on my part. I made the DIY lights for my whatever size tank it is (either 37, 40, or 45). I just now decided that i wanted those lights for my 29 gallon, but I already installed them in my DIY hood, which I made at the same time. As soon as I learn to resize pictures I will post as to what I am talking about when I mention that I made a box to house the "ballasts" of the two lights I installed. After making the box I screwed it to the ceiling of the DIY hood for the 45 gallon. Well I can now unscrew the box from the ceiling and re screw it into the 29 gallon hood! It only takes 4 screws and the move is completed WooHoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tags
light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com