Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2011, 01:44 AM   #11

All my tanks have scratches on the inside from rocks you would be here pressed to find a tank that doesn't and none of my tanks collect algae in the scratches either

Old 12-07-2011, 02:35 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok sweet, so I might not have to buff out the scratches after all! That makes my life much easier thanks guys.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:06 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

My 36g had some scratches and after cleaning it out with a razor (salt and algae), it got some more. But, now that it is filled, you can't tell at all.

I'm sure yours will be similar.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

hey all, i hope your all having a good night, i did a little work on the tank but not much. iv got all(other than scraps) the silicone off of the surfaces and its looking good, got both the bottom and top frame off

i am having some issues getting the peices of glass apart though does anyone have any experience doing this that could give me some advice? i keep running the blade down the seam but it doesnt seem to be doing anything unfortunately im stuck at this point until i can figure out how to proceed

here are some pictures

Old 12-08-2011, 12:17 AM   #15

Mineral spirits will break down the silicone might help some
Old 12-08-2011, 01:26 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

wow, that worked great! i let them soak for a bit and they cut right out.

if i have time tommorow im going to clean up the glass and then all i have to do is wait till the frame gets here
Old 12-08-2011, 01:35 AM   #17

Clean all the edges with ammonia ant make sure it's perfectly square when you start resealing doesn't hurt to go heavy on the bottom
Old 12-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

sounds good, do i have to silicone the inside seal at the same time as i put the tank back togather or can i do that after it has cured?

i got all the glass cleaned up with goo be gone worked great, now i get to write a 5 page paper i have been putting off lol yay
Old 12-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #19

no you have to seal it all at once new silicone will not bond with already cured silicone its a pain in the you know what resealing a tank just make sure you go with a fish safe silicone that has good tensil strength i use DAP aquarium sealent cost like 5 bucks a tube at lowes i recommend you tubing a video to see how the pro's do it
Old 12-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

even if the first round is purely to hold the pieces of glass together? i was thinking i would seal the glass together and then cut the residual pieces off (clean it up) and then seal it.

isnt that what people who reseal their tank usually do? otherwise wouldnt you have to completely tear apart your tank every time you reseal it?

not sure if that makes sense

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, build, project

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com