New Project help please... Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronclone

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys, i have always wanted an aquarium but never really took the project seriously until i saw a rerun of Nip/Tuck on tv and fell in love with the in wall fish tank they have in wall... i'm posting a picture so you guys can give me some tips.

http://www.ellenbrill.com/tv/nt48.jpg

I do want something like it, i think its freshwater with artificial reefs and lots of bubbles... i also believe its somewhat of slim profile (would love your opinion on this) and with a black background...

Anyway, i have read lots of info, but i'm still not sure whats the best option for me. I was thinking in a 48x21x8inches with 10mm thick glass, that would give me a 35 gallon tank. I'm planning stocking some fish and some small artificial reef and plants, so this may make my life easier...

I will be placing it in a metal base i plan to custom made, so i might have some space below the tank, i would really like to hide most of the piping and hardware... i have no problem with drilling the tank since i will be getting the glass cut and drilled at my hardware store, but i need to plan ahead to know how many holes i need and the position they need to be. this is were i have more doubts. keep in mind i would want a bubble bar across the tank too.

But maybe i prefer to keep it simple, maybe a sump would be a little to much trouble, maybe i can make the tank a little wider (instead of 48", like 52") and put a glass wall to the left of the fish tank to make a little compartment where to hide all the hardware (is this possible?). I know it will have to make some designs choices to disguise it.

I was planning to lighting it with a couple of white ultra bright led strips.

This will be a DIY project, i´m in a budget, that's why i would like your help guys... this does look like an amazing community... thanks in advance for all of your help...

I'm sorry I can't help you with the build but I'm sure someone can.

However I can tell you that is freshwater and they are African Cichlids in the tank.

Good luck with this and I'm curious about your other answers and progress. When you start, make a thread in the DIY section so we can follow it! :)

maybe wrong section...

Maybe i posted on the wrong section, if so i'm really sorry... an adminisrator can close the thread, and i can start another one in the DIY section, or maybe he can move the thread...

I was thinking about changing the setup to a closed looped one, an made this diagram:

http://i45.tinypic.com/5a0x9u.jpg

Will this work ok? any tips?

I cant wait to star this thing, but i need to be sure it will work fine...

I think either forum would be fine, but I went ahead and moved it to the DIY forum per your request. Don't have a lot of time right now, but will try to get on later to help if I get a chance. Looks like your off to a good start by looking through people's build threads for ideas. There are several on in wall tank system on this site.

Thanks, i think it better suited for the DIY section, and i plan to keep updating with my progress with pictures an all.

I will be getting the glass cut early next week, i think i will go the direction of the diagram i posted before. If someone thinks of a problem that may arise with it, PLEASE let me know... i settled for 48x21x10.

I was thinking about using 1" piping all through... will this be ok?

Back
Top Bottom