New Project... Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquastew

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I'm after a few ideas... I currently have an empty 65 litre tank and am looking to set it up for tropical freshwater. Instead of the standard aquarium, I fancy a bit of aquascaping, with a few selected fish. As this is still in the "drawing board" stages I was after some advice/tips/warnings on starting such a project... Anything welcome! Thanks

The pic is similar to the kind of thing I hope to achieve!

Attachments

• image-148006970.jpg
    image-148006970.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 147
I'm pretty sure that is going to require a lot of work to get similar results. I hope you have your mind set to do it because those don't look like the cheap and easy plants. You will most likely be looking at needing good lighting, CO2 and using ferts to get that kind of result.

It does look stunning!

Welcome to AA!

That tank requires high light levels, lots of fertilizers, and CO2 injection. You can replicate the tree with java moss, but it's not as neat. Flame moss might give you a more sanitary appearance.

I believe that's an Amano tank, isn't it?

As BigJim mentioned, tanks like that take some higher-tech setups to achieve, but they are achievable if you put some effort into them.

Good Luck and Welcome to AA!

Thanks, I'm not sure about the tree myself as it does look like a lot if patience is required. From doing a bit of research I have priced up most of the equipment needed and will take me a while to source all of the gear, so I have a while to plan it properly!

I do however like the "grassed" look. Have any of you guys got suggestions of plants to achieve this? I found dwarf hairgrass online, but the site it was on didn't look too trustworthy..?

I was thinking instead of a tree, maybe a Stonehenge or a Greek style monument, without looking too cheap...

...also for a Co2 diffuser, do you need a machine? Or are the "fermenting yeast bottles" sufficient?
May be a daft question... I've never had to use one in my previous tanks.

You can go with dwarf hair grass or possibly baby tears would give a better result for a lower growing plant. For that style tank I would recommend actual CO2 and not doing DIY yeast. It will be more consistent and so give better results.

Thanks Smitty. I've just been reading online about the benefits of canisters, rather than yeasty experiments!!

My equipment "watch list" is building up on eBay... I shall keep you updated with pics once the project gets underway.

Until then, any further advice/hints/tips will be well received!

Ps. Keep up the good work!!

If you are serious about this you should contact http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/index.html. They have some fantastic planted tanks. It has been a couple months since I've been to their store (I'm luck that I'm local-they don't usually open up their store to customers as everything is shipped but they have let me pick up stuff). They know their stuff and could point you in the right direction as well.

Edit: oops... I think put the answer to a different question in this thread LOL! http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

Back
Top Bottom