new refeug.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

podman1973

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey guys sorry to starte a new thread but i built my first 20gal refug. for my 72 gal SW tank i didnt document the build (it was very clumsy) keystone cops like lol. Heres my problem when i do a powerfailure test it will flood what am i doing wrong here i would app. any tips or advice of things yall see i did wrong or missed

Attachments

• refug.3.jpg
    refug.3.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 79
  • OF 1.jpg
    OF 1.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 64
  • full view.jpg
    full view.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 72
  • refug.5.jpg
    refug.5.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 56
You will need a small hole in the output hose just below the running water level. This will break the back siphon into the sump. Try about 1/32 size hole half way between power off and running. Please tell me you have a overflow box or a drilled tank! If not you will need to start there.

ok so put a hole on the u-tube that goes from the tank to the overflow box on the overflow side just below the desired water line .....do i have that correct????

DIY Overflow Box

The overflow system should have 2 boxes. The one with fingers goes inside the tank with the fingers at water level. the overflow box goes outside and should have two compartments one side is the output to sump the other is for the siphon tube. when the power goes off the siphon tube ends stay under water. If the siphon breaks I use some airline pushed up into the top of the tube's bend to suck out all of the air. The small hole is in the tank on the output about half way between pump off and pump on water level.

I hope this helps

no

not a hole in the overflow box siphon

a hole in the return line.

when your power goes out, the water that the return pump is trying to pump up to the tank drains back down into the sump. Since the return line from the pump into the tank is under the water level line in the display tank, when this happens it creates a siphon, so that the return line then starts drawing water out of the display tank back down into the sump.

To alleviate this, in your return line, just under the water level, drill a hole in the return line so that when the water level gets below the hole, it will suck air instead of water.

does the hole affect the flow while power is on ??? or since its below water line it keeps solid flow (did i just get it ) new pics above

We need the other end of the tubing, not the end by the pump, but where that tubing goes into the tank.

Last edited:
hey i finally figured it out i put small hole just below my desired water line of my discharge tube. It was a bit hard to figure out where i wanted it but thanks to all of you guys advice i finally got now no floods in the liveing room ( my girlfriend is soo happy) again thanks for all teh help 8)

"keystone cops like lol." From what I can see in your photos you did a good job. May I recommend replacing the wall with a GFI? (ground fault interrupter) Only if the circuit breaker isn't one already.

Back
Top Bottom