New stand!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purplegibbon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So in school I have access to all the machines to make a beautiful stand so Im going to be doing so... I just had found this part of the forum and will update this daily with pictures starting tomorrow!

Stay tuned everyone!!!

Btw it's made of Oak and not some poopy pine material that could crap out of the years no offence to anyone that has made one of pine they last awhile but hardwood ultimately beats soft wood!

img_1183578_0_6e5699bdcc40dad04e0387b9eaeabbef.jpg

Plans

img_1183578_1_c772ecfdb74aa1735bffd9197d8fb654.jpg

Sides and stretcher frames

img_1183578_2_ad84f4ba2b4658518863a8234c302eea.jpg

That's what it looks like so far pretty bare and gut less hahaha more to come tomorrow I'm making the shelf for the inside...

Sorry if the pictures are huge I had no intentions of making them so that they would be that large

Last edited:
Pics are fine. I just have a comment wouldnt the strechers be better if they where up instead of the side? thats just me. But over all you looking good. I think it would also help to know how muwch your spending so far. Lots of ppl find it usefull to knw this to compare the price of a cheap stand. Might convince them to build there own.

img_1183787_0_34d36334e3cfed88f7b17955be2f8d5d.jpg

Middle shelf that fits into the middle dato grove in the side pieces this will help support weight. Along with a face frame that I will build soon that will be infact vertical as well to help with the weight of the tank in due time :D

I finish the Shelf tomorrow and I glue it all together and then I start to work on the face frame :D

Last edited:
img_1184122_0_4c1a1dd27bcfcb5abaaef84fbd035168.jpg

This is the Main Frame with the shelf being glued in.....

This whole project will hold a 33 gallon Tall tank.....

very nice. A nice light stain and some sort of urethane and you'll be all set.

Also, if you make a top that fits over the stand, you can use it for something else when you get a bigger tank. ;)

Looks pretty cool! My only comment would be to watch how those pony clamps twist your cabinet. They can really pull them out of square quickly, and even 1/16" on a cabinet holding a large amount of weight like this one will eventually cause problems. Do you have access to a case clamp? if you do, make sure you cut your backer perfect, put the cabinet into the clamp, and attach the backer. That way everything will be nice a square and you won't have to worry down the road.
Sorry if you already knew this, just trying to help, I look forward to seeing it done. What are you thinking for stain? IME oak looks awesome in a rosewood stain, as the grain goes nice a dark, and the rest stays fairly dark, but also has a nice red tint to it!

Pics soon please :p

Looking good so far - will be following along to see it all come together.

Btw it's made of Oak and not some poopy pine material that could crap out of the years no offence to anyone that has made one of pine they last awhile but hardwood ultimately beats soft wood!

Just an FYI, the durability of your wood in this application will be determined by the quality of the sealing job you do, not the type of wood. I've seen oak swell and deteriorate within a two year period on an aquarium hood.

Back
Top Bottom