New Tank Install

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrndHog

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I finally got my new 150gal (60x24x24) installed today. I had to call a couple freinds over to help me, I think I was told it weights 255lbs for the manufacture and guess what, its perfectly level!!!! :wink:

justDIY, I'm going to have to get a parts list from you for those bulkheads, I have 5, 2 in, 2 out and one electric. I'm going to need some serious advice on how to set this baby up.

tank looks well built. Mind if we ask who constructed it for you and what it cost?

I did all the construction to the stand and demolition to the closet that its in. I probably have $150 into that.

The tank I purchased locally from a manufacture that based in Gulf Breeze Fl. I did'nt even know they existed until I saw a add in the thrifty nickle. For the 150 w/ one weir and 5 holes w/ glass top was $550.

www.ocea.com (tank builder)

I got to take a tour of their cabinet and tank bulding shop, kewl!

Nice set up :mrgreen:

I have to ask a dumb question here... I see a lot of people building tanks into their walls and i was thinking of doing the same in the future. The thing is...im not the tallest man in the world. I'm barely 5'7", on a good day, and even with a step ladder, i dont see how would i get into the lower front of the tank to clean, aquascape, or scrape algea off the glass. How do you take care of your tank when it is built into the wall like that? Better question is how would i?

GrndHog said:
justDIY, I'm going to have to get a parts list from you for those bulkheads, I have 5, 2 in, 2 out and one electric. I'm going to need some serious advice on how to set this baby up.

well, a tank that side, you are best off using actual bulkheads (sorry, I know they are expensive!).

Plumbing pieces 1.25 through 2" are very difficult to screw together, impossible without heavy iron pipe wrenches ... and a 15 lb wrench is not something you want around a valuable glass tank!

you can try looking at a boat / rv store, you may find some 1.5" bulkheads as I did, but as I found out, they do not fit standard pipe sizes!

lemme know if I can help ya out with anything

you can try looking at a boat / rv store, you may find some 1.5" bulkheads as I did, but as I found out, they do not fit standard pipe sizes!
Take a piece of the pipe you plan on using with you and check for fit while you're shopping around... save yourself a ton of time :eek:)

Yeah, those are good ideas, thanks (y)
The thing is...im not the tallest man in the world. I'm barely 5'7", on a good day, and even with a step ladder, i dont see how would i get into the lower front of the tank to clean, aquascape, or scrape algea off the glass. How do you take care of your tank when it is built into the wall like that? Better question is how would i?
This is what I'm going to use. The stand is 43 inches high, so it is a little higher than normal

Back
Top Bottom