Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, here is a quick update before bed. All the painting and staining is done, now I need to put on a layer or 2 of polyurethane. As requested by my wife, I will also put on some glaze coat on the shelf part (that stuff is neat but expensive!).

I really like the way it has turned out so far:

Thanks for all the comments! Can't wait to get the actual tank on there! I still need to drill for the overflow (I don't have the tank and don't know where to drill the holes) but it shouldn't be hard to get that done once I have the tank.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
looks great come up to atlanta and build one for my 180 lol

Old 05-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

If anyone wants to know what the phraze "Wow, that stinks" means... it is bumping into about 1/2 a quart of stain and having it fall over and spill.

That stinks!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have to say, you did a really nice job on that stand! I recently built a stand for my tank and have a new appreciation for people who build their own things, it's harder than it looks to make sure everything fits together like a glove. Once you get your tanks goin it's going to look awesome.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, my other half overruled my two-tone stain job so I had to re-do it all in the darker color. Did it yesterday but it is still drying (it is like 100 degrees and really humid so taking a long time to dry). Once that is done I'll start with the polyurethane so seal it all up!
Old 05-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, I checked again and it turns out things are drying pretty well so I could put the doors back on. Will still wait another 24 hours (giving 48 of dry time) before putting on the poly. Here is an updated picture:

Old 05-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Smitty,....I'll have to agree with the better half,...I like the darker stain better
Old 05-30-2011, 04:59 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

+1 on the darker stain. Looks great. What kind of poly are you using. I've researching to do the stand for our 125 and was curious what you came up with.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea... most people like the dark. I'm over my disappointment now

To be honest I didn't research any specific poly. I just grabbed something off the shelf - Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane Clear semi-gloss. I knew I didn't want it to be flat and I didn't want a high glossy finish.

This is what I used last time on my freshwater tank and it worked out pretty well. I am, however, not going to use this on the shelf. That is going to get the $$ treatment as I'm going to mix up and pour some gloss coat there. It is basically a clear epoxy that when hard is very tough stuff. Unfortunately it costs a fortune ($24 for enough for 3x3 area) but it looks cool!
Old 05-30-2011, 05:16 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah... We have a ledge designed into ours and I just know that as the saltwater drips from water changes, etc. over time it's going to stain it. I just wondered what others had used to really seal out the moisture. Thanks for the info and the inspiration.

Tags
stand, tan, tank stand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com