Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

New tank stand

Howdy!

So I've finally started my 90g tank project. I'm so excited! The first thing I've been working on is a new tank. Now I'm building this a little different because I wanted more room under the tank for the 55g sump and other stuff. So, instead of making a stand that is the same size as the tank, I have made it an extra 2' longer (so a 6' long stand instead of 4' long which is the length of the tank).

This is a work in progress. I have around 250 invested in materials. I wanted to make this one nice (plus I forgot to measure twice and cut once a couple times and had to replace some wood... ). The stop is made from 2x6 and the bottom is made from 2x4. I have a solid bottom under the 2x4 and I will seal the inside just in case there is a minor leak, it will hold a bit of water. Here is what I have done so far:

(Please note that I just bought this house 2 weeks ago and the flooring in the garage was already there... haven't figured out what to do with it yet!)

Now the stand:

And for a little perspective I have put my old 55g tank on the side that will also hold the 90g tank:

Still need to paint the inside, stain the outside and then coat it all with polyurethane. I'm tired just thinking about it!

Old 05-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
nice craftsmanship i could never do anything like that

Old 05-24-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks great so far!

Check out my 50 Gallon Build
Coleallensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackteck View Post
nice craftsmanship i could never do anything like that
You would be surprised with what you can get done. I always thought it was hard until I tried. Still, I'm no Picasso when it comes to cabinet making, I just do enough to get the job done.

I really have only used 4 tools and only really needed 2 of them (didn't need the miter saw but it does make it easier and I only used my belt sander to fix mistakes!).

Finishing up with a 2nd coat of white paint for the inside and staining the trim on the outside. It is dark here but will try and get some more pictures up when finished.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

have a question for you, how do you know how much weight it will hold?
Old 05-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know for sure how much it will hold but I am sure it is more than enough for a 90g tank. The 2x6's across the top will support a large load and the compressive strength of the 2x4's in the corners and at the 4' mark is enough to park a car on top of.

I have seen enough stands and stand designs that I'm not worried about this one having any problems. I also have 1/4" sheet oak across the entire back and in the front (minus the door cutouts).

Compared to the stands I see in the stores I could park a freight train on this thing.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was going to say, the stand I bought with my 55g is all particle board. I was really upset when I didn't notice a small splash of water during my first pwc and I now have a nice bubble warp on the surface!

So yeah, I imagine it will hold the tank AND a Prius. Looks great man!
Old 05-24-2011, 10:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I don't know for sure how much it will hold but I am sure it is more than enough for a 90g tank. The 2x6's across the top will support a large load and the compressive strength of the 2x4's in the corners and at the 4' mark is enough to park a car on top of.

I have seen enough stands and stand designs that I'm not worried about this one having any problems. I also have 1/4" sheet oak across the entire back and in the front (minus the door cutouts).

Compared to the stands I see in the stores I could park a freight train on this thing.
makes me want to build a stand for my 180G but the only thing ive ever built is a turtle pen for my daughter lol
Old 05-24-2011, 10:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

That stands beast compared to the overpriced fisher price particle board you see in stores, puts my homebuilt stand to shame I didn't even cover mine bahaha just framed it and put a top, it's used to hold a thirty and a 20, did build it for free with wood around the house
Old 05-24-2011, 10:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good looking stand

I'd say it'll hold that 90g no problem.

Tags
stand, tan, tank stand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com