Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

got my new/old tanks today! One is in better shape than the other but who cares for $25 a tank right? I'm going to build a 3d background for i've of them but that's not till later. I have to get the old peeling silicon off and reseal it. Anyone have any tips on getting the silicone off?

Attachment 94187

Attachment 94188

Old 05-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Razor blade and elbow grease... that is about it unfortunately

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol I've been doing that for two days now, the guy that used to own this tank apparently had three layers of silicone. Never took the old moldy stuff off just put more on top on it
Old 05-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The guy had some kind of white caulking inside the tank, is that going to add unwanted chemicals to the tank?

Attachment 94424
Old 05-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It could if the caulk had mildew resistant chemicals in it. But most likely it will be fine. Heck I have even seen stories of people using the mildew resistant caulk on their tanks and sumps with no problems. But always better safe than sorry so try and remove it since you are resealing anyway.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm trying my best, not even halfway done. Got any of that elbow grease you can loan me? My arm feels like its going to fall off lol. I'm trying not to take the silicone out from in between the glass that part should be fine right?
Old 05-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly_koi View Post
I'm trying my best, not even halfway done. Got any of that elbow grease you can loan me? My arm feels like its going to fall off lol. I'm trying not to take the silicone out from in between the glass that part should be fine right?

That is correct. What you want to do is take enough off the side and in the corner for a good seal for the silicone. Silicone don't not adhere to itself very well.
60 gallon(Parrots and Convicts) 55 gallon African Cichlids 5 gallon Betta tank 35 Gallon Hex (Bolivian Rams, Oto cats, Bloodfin Tetra and a shoal of Tiger Barbs) 75 Gallon Oscar Condo. 30 gallon GBRs & Danios
Pton46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pton46 View Post
That is correct. What you want to do is take enough off the side and in the corner for a good seal for the silicone. Silicone don't not adhere to itself very well.
You are using GE Silicone 1 (Windows & Doors) or something similar without anti Mildew agents?
60 gallon(Parrots and Convicts) 55 gallon African Cichlids 5 gallon Betta tank 35 Gallon Hex (Bolivian Rams, Oto cats, Bloodfin Tetra and a shoal of Tiger Barbs) 75 Gallon Oscar Condo. 30 gallon GBRs & Danios
Old 05-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pton46

You are using GE Silicone 1 (Windows & Doors) or something similar without anti Mildew agents?
its silicone 1 window/attic/door/basement but now that I'm looking closely at the bottle I realized that its white instead of clear so now I have to drive 30 minutes back to Lowes and get the clear stuff
Old 05-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

White would work but would not like too nice.....

I just moved my 75 Gallon to water test and found two small leaks.....barely a drip but safe than sorry I'm resealing the whole tank as well as you...I have the underside completed and One corner done....

Tags
new tanks, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com