new tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol I've been doing that for two days now, the guy that used to own this tank apparently had three layers of silicone. Never took the old moldy stuff off just put more on top on it

It could if the caulk had mildew resistant chemicals in it. But most likely it will be fine. Heck I have even seen stories of people using the mildew resistant caulk on their tanks and sumps with no problems. But always better safe than sorry so try and remove it since you are resealing anyway.

I'm trying my best, not even halfway done. Got any of that elbow grease you can loan me? My arm feels like its going to fall off lol. I'm trying not to take the silicone out from in between the glass that part should be fine right?

I'm trying my best, not even halfway done. Got any of that elbow grease you can loan me? My arm feels like its going to fall off lol. I'm trying not to take the silicone out from in between the glass that part should be fine right?

That is correct. What you want to do is take enough off the side and in the corner for a good seal for the silicone. Silicone don't not adhere to itself very well.

That is correct. What you want to do is take enough off the side and in the corner for a good seal for the silicone. Silicone don't not adhere to itself very well.

You are using GE Silicone 1 (Windows & Doors) or something similar without anti Mildew agents?

Pton46 said:
You are using GE Silicone 1 (Windows & Doors) or something similar without anti Mildew agents?

its silicone 1 window/attic/door/basement but now that I'm looking closely at the bottle I realized that its white instead of clear so now I have to drive 30 minutes back to Lowes and get the clear stuff

White would work but would not like too nice.....

I just moved my 75 Gallon to water test and found two small leaks.....barely a drip but safe than sorry I'm resealing the whole tank as well as you...I have the underside completed and One corner done....

Pton46 said:
White would work but would not like too nice.....

I just moved my 75 Gallon to water test and found two small leaks.....barely a drip but safe than sorry I'm resealing the whole tank as well as you...I have the underside completed and One corner done....

I haven't worked on my tank today (busy with mothers day and all) but I'll be back to the grind stone tomorrow. This is getting to be more work than I anticipated, starting to make a little headway though. I went after the silicone like Rambo armed with a butter knife lol. The knife is working a little better than the razor blade did :)

Back
Top Bottom