Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
New to tanks, but ready to build!!

So i just recently purchased a Tiger Oscar and plan to build it a tank much larger than it needs... My ideal size is a 2' wide x 2' high x 4' long tank, aka 125gal tank. My major question i am trying to have answered is if i use 1/4" plexi with cross bracing, will that be strong enough to hold that much weight? Also i was curious about glass and the same scenario, 1/4" glass with cross bracing. The attached photos show the basic setup and structure im hoping to use.

The finished product will use 1/2" oak plywood as its outer shell. The Tank image shows to separate cross braces with hole cut in to allow the fish to swim through. The idea is to coat these braces with some form of imitation coral. So it will help strengthen the sides and also add some nice aesthetics to the case. The Tank base frame work will be made of 2x4 lumber all the way around. Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I will try to answer or respond asap. Thank you in advance for your help and constructive criticisms.
randyrogers04 is offline   Reply With Quote

build, tan, tank, tanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com