new weight/second floor questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Burns

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i just calculated most of the stats for the tank i'm building:
Water Type..............................Freshwater
Material................................Acrylic
Tank Overhead Shape.....................Rectangular
Length..................................55.00 in.
Width...................................18.00 in.
Height..................................20.00 in.
Wall-thickness..........................0.69 in.
Volume..................................85.71 gal (US)
Tank Material Weight....................141.43 lbf
Water Volume............................77.56 gal (US)
Water Weight............................645.42 lbf
Substrate Type..........................Small Diameter Rocks
Average Substrate Depth.................3.00 in.
Substrate Weight........................158.18 lbf
Approximate Total Weight................945.02 lbf

plywood is being used, but i felt acrylic is more comparable in weight than glass. the stand i built will add another 100lbs, plus maybe 30lbs for the canopy and junk going inside the cabinet. it's a little more than i had first estimated, but weight should be in the 1000-1200 lbs range. this tank is going in a second floor bedroom above the garage, like this:
floorplan.jpg

the black lines are outside walls of the house (brick) and the light brown are the floor joists. it's not to scale, but hopefully the general idea is conveyed.

will placing the tank diagonally across some of the floor joists and up against two outer walls be enough to safely support the 1200 or so pounds ?

Well floor joists are on 16 centers I think, so against the wall on the right, you would be able to catch three of them. At the diagonal, assuming 45 degrees, you would only grab two. If you are worried about wieght I would suggest putting it against the side wall.

i can't do that b/c there are windows on each wall 44" from the corner . if i have time tomorrow, i will make a better diagram, hopefully to scale.

I'd rather have it in front of a window then shattered in the garage.
I have my 55gal community tank in front of a window and it is fine.
Just cause I have no where else to put it.

I have my 75 gal parallel across 2 joists close to an exterior wall. The further you move away from the wall the greater the load. Mine's fine.

i sketched out a plot of the room...forgive the crappiness. if the joists are 16" centered and starting 16" from the wall, the tank should span three...

Back
Top Bottom