Newbie with canopy question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willy1094

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
I looked for a while and I'm sure that this info is in here but I'm on break and running out of time. I am going to be getting a 125g tank soon from trade and was thinking about building a canopy. I've been looking and found a few that I liked...some look easy and others look a bit harder. Anyway, I was wondering how heavy could the canopy be without causing trouble or even risking trouble. One basic canopy was 50lbs per the builder and that seems heavy. This tank is glass and will be FW. I figure I'll use shop lights. Should I still use glass lids still? Do I need fans? What should I use to seal the inside of the canopy for water protection. The stand is oak, what is the best stain to match a stock oak stand? I know this don't fit here but what is the safest way to move this tank as it is very heavy and would like to make it in one piece. About 3 or 4 flights of stairs involved.

Sorry for the long post and 800 questions! :n00b:
Thanks in advance for the help.
p.s. Any links to DIY canopy builds will be gladly researched!

Welcome to AA!

I built the canopy for my 125. Pics are in the build thread. I don't know how much it weighs, but it's made of 3/4" cabinet grade plywood.

Safest way to move the tank down stairs? Get a couple of really strong guys...lol.

Thanks for the replies! This will be fresh water. Do I need fans if I use florescent lights? I'm just going to use shop lights because they are cheap, long, and cheap :). Of course I'll use different bulbs. I read on one build that Kilz is a good product to protect the inside of the canopy from water damage and that the white color is a good reflector for the light. Is this the best to use or should I go with something else like water seal etc. I have a little more time to dig around tonight and have already found some great info on this forum!
Thanks again

Sorry, another question....how would I water proof the light tube connections on a shop light? Pics would help.
thanks

You probably won't need a fan, but it won't hurt if you build one into the canopy.

I used 3 coats of white Glidden Exterior latex inside my canopy.

I don't know of any way to waterproof the end caps of a shop light. You can buy waterproof endcaps for about $10/pair and an electronic ballast from HD or Lowes for about $20. Might cost a bit more than a shop light, but it is safe to have close to the water.

Back
Top Bottom