Nitrate filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swflyfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Anyone with a simple design for a power nitrate filter either hob or in sump or ref,i'm trying it in refugium with in slow flow in a filter media bag with a nitrate sponge media inside bag..

Are you looking for someone with some type of underwater catalyst to do the chemical reaction for "denitrification"?:
Code:
2(NO3) -> N2 + 3 (O2)

You could use something absorbitive like Purigen in your filter but you won't be able to grow healthy plants if you use Purigen (pulls too much of the essential ingredients out of the water).

You could use something absorbitive like Purigen in your filter but you won't be able to grow healthy plants if you use Purigen (pulls too much of the essential ingredients out of the water).
Does Purigen effect the growth of macroalgae's like Chaeto or chalurpa in the sump??

Hmm, I would not know 100% for sure (as I don't dable in salt water...yet).

I did find it pulled out too much good stuff for my fresh water plants. It took about a month for the plants to go from pearling and in great health to deteriorating with leaves becoming translucent and growth significantly slowing down.

I love purigen in an unplanted freshwater aquarium though. I would imagine it could work well in a fish only salt water aquarium too.

I run purigen in my SW tank. I do have macro algae growing in there as well as some hitch hiker corals.

Back
Top Bottom