No co2 flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobb12

Aquarium Advice Regular
I also made a diy co2 generator today. when i hooked it all up i waited about 2 hours and nothing happened so i shook the bottle real hard and bubbles came out of the air stone but only while i kept shaking it. There is no constant flow of bubbles they will only come out when i shake it.
What is wrong and how do i fix this?
Also the inside of the aquarium down in the water fogged up quite a bit after making the co2 but the water didnt fog up at all is this normal?

Definately check for leaks, but it can take up to 24 or more hours for a DIY CO2 system to build up enough pressure to actually make it into your tank.

It's only been two hours. Give it upto a day before getting concerned.

Also NEVER shake a DIY CO2 generator bottle, that's a great way to end up with an explosion or the mix in your aquarium.

ohi thought you were supposed to shake it after making it and every day or so. thats when i noticed the bubles and kept shaking it. Is shakin git the only way of making an explosion. and yes i have checked for leaks and there appear to be none. but ill give it awhile i thoughit only took an hour for the mixture to start bubbling.

I have the same problem. Sorry for the hijack!

Mines been like it for a couple of days...... when i shake it the co2 bubbles away. I have checked for leaks... I have a non return valve fitted, and wonder if thats stopping it? Any suggestions?

check value is in correct direction, some pressure but not a lot. Perhaps thee is not enough pressure?

I also have them 3 metres away, below the tank level, does that affect them?

I didnt even have a check valve when i made this post i rescently got one so that is not the problem and yes i feel pressure in the bottle. Do you think the mixture has something to so with it.

There are several things that can affect the CO2 production.
1. Position of the bottle(s). When bottles are placed below the aquarium or have a long length of tubing, the CO2 pressure has to build much higher to over come the water pressure. (Nomad I would recommend moving your bottle to at least level with your aquarium and shortening the length of tubing).
2. Temperature can play a part, especially in the winter or if your Air Conditioning is set extra low. Cooler temperatures slow down CO2 production. Placing the bottles in a water bath with a water heater can help with this issue.
3. Old yeast. Check the date on your yeast. If it's been sitting on the shelf too long it may be expired.
4. Mixing with too warm water. If you use hot water you can kill the yeast which prevents CO2 production.
5. Leaks in the system. Make sure that you are thoroughly checking for leaks with a leak check solution. (A mix of dish soap and water works just fine.) Check all joins, especially at the bottle cap.

Back
Top Bottom