No more water changes!??!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have MTS too. I admit it! Now, about the next tank. Hee,Hee! This might be why I never got married and never will. It's just a piece of paper to me. And if anything happens I can leave, no problem. My kids, my tanks, my truck, see ya! Lol!
You make me LOL! When I was in the hobby years ago it was for my son, he was about 10 when he asked for a fish tank. After the first one I was hooked (so was he) but I blamed the rest of the tanks on him. "Tommy wanted some new fish" hehe

You make me LOL! When I was in the hobby years ago it was for my son, he was about 10 when he asked for a fish tank. After the first one I was hooked (so was he) but I blamed the rest of the tanks on him. "Tommy wanted some new fish" hehe
Lol! That's funny, my son got me started too. Went to the fair and won 2 gold fish last year. I was hooked. After about a month we donated the gold fish to the neighbors little heated pond. And I found a great deal on my 75g. I've wanted angelfish all my life but hard times came about and was a single mom that worked overtime everytime I could and sometimes had a few jobs at a time. But now set in our life and loving my dream come true. But finding myself getting more and more Betta's for some reason. Maybe just because it's more tanks to have around. Lol! Works for me. Hee! Hee! And my love don't mind.[emoji5] [emoji6] [emoji4]

The best part is you don't even have to use hot water. It eliminates your electric bill from using hot water for water changes.

You still have to pay for the energy to heat the water, either with a heater in your tank or by heating the room. You might save a very very small amount because you aren't losing heat in your plumbing as the water is flowing to your tank, but really that is probably pretty small compared to how much heat is lost from your tank all the time anyway.

I don't think so. It's a drip. When the drip of water hits The warm water from the tanks it becomes warm. It takes just as much heat to heat the tank when heaters kick on. It's basically the same as your tank water having to be heated as temps drop without the drip system in place.

The idea is great, some local Aquarium society keepers have set ups like this.

A couple thoughts are that the water for the tank should still be filtered, though I know some of these guys do not, They just adjust the amount of water exchange to account for feeding and waste.

What I have seen is that without cleaning the bottom of the tank, fluffy /mulm like stuff builds up. Also to keep up with good water circulation to help move stuff out through filtration.

The other thing which happens is that this water coming from the city treatment facilities may end up with very potent chemicals in it from maintenance, repairs and general flushing of lines to kill off bacteria to create "safe" drinking water.

Just be aware.

I would like to do this with pretreated water from a storage container and dosing pump for Prime. Personally for out water I need to add calcium and magnesium on a regular basis to keep the water stable. Not there yet but it sounds good!

Back
Top Bottom