Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-05-2018, 07:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

No more water changes!??!

So, I watched a video last night about this drip system. Changes out a gallon per hour just by tapping into your pipes, looks pretty easy to do and cheap. My tank is in my living room right next to my kitchen. The best part is you don't even have to use hot water. It eliminates your electric bill from using hot water for water changes. Having a 75 gallon planted tank, that sounds pretty nice. And would be idea for my plants and fish. Anyways, if anyone else is interested I'll post the video so you can see what I'm so excited about. I know there are some people that already do things like this, but think this one is alittle different with a drip system. And there's no dumping buckets or totes if you are able to set a pump up to drain it right out side or down a drain. Just thought it was pretty cool, cause it's what I've been thinking about doing and now I have a better idea of it all. What to see?

Old 03-05-2018, 08:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would like to see link...
Jehmco sells the emitters /drippers at different flow rates.
They are listed under air accessories.

^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Angel
I've heard of the drip system before and I'm sure it can work. Maybe changing out a gallon an hour is a little much. Let's say your 75 gal. tank has a total of 70 gallons total water volume.
The drip system changes 24 gal. A day ◊ a 30 day month = 720 total gal. Changed.
In your case, that results in a 100% WC of a little over 10 ◊ a month.
I'm an advocate of large WC's, but I would slow the water exchange by 50%. That would still result in 100% WC 5 x a month.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by V227 View Post
Angel
I've heard of the drip system before and I'm sure it can work. Maybe changing out a gallon an hour is a little much. Let's say your 75 gal. tank has a total of 70 gallons total water volume.
The drip system changes 24 gal. A day ◊ a 30 day month = 720 total gal. Changed.
In your case, that results in a 100% WC of a little over 10 ◊ a month.
I'm an advocate of large WC's, but I would slow the water exchange by 50%. That would still result in 100% WC 5 x a month.
You can always change the gallon per hour on how fast you want it to drip. Slowing it down or even shutting it down for a wk is fine with me. There's ways to make this work for everyone. Just gotta find what would work for you. Me! I already know what I'm doing. This is just a great idea.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Curious to know how much chlorine is in the tank? Or do you have well water?
Old 03-05-2018, 08:42 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
I would like to see link...
Jehmco sells the emitters /drippers at different flow rates.
They are listed under air accessories.
This is idea for you! This guys got a few different videos to this. Posting both for ya. https://youtu.be/NrJ3eAE4qQE and then this one. https://youtu.be/LimJJasPUlo hope it gives ya some ideas.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:43 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfFish View Post
Curious to know how much chlorine is in the tank? Or do you have well water?
I have a well. But watch the second one he covers that too.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:21 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Seems like just as much work if not more to remove water from the tank through a plumbing system since you are adding water and to find a water hook up to add continuous water than it is to just do a water change one a week.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:22 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I love the King of DIY I have built three of his projects. I saw this one it looks great!
Old 03-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angellove78 View Post
This is idea for you! This guys got a few different videos to this. Posting both for ya. https://youtu.be/NrJ3eAE4qQE and then this one. https://youtu.be/LimJJasPUlo hope it gives ya some ideas.
Just a PSA: Joey's videos should be watched with grain of salt. Huge huge bolder sized grain of salt. regrettably YouTube doesn't offer ignore list functionality, this would be the first channel I would block to never see in search results again.

As to continuous water change /flow through there is one big consideration - water bill. To me this sounds like "never do laundry again , just keep buying new clothes" wasteful. I was raised in county with extreme water shortages, I am very diligent spending it rationaly ever since

125 Gallon , 55 Gallon
agrasyuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ate, change, water, water change, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com