Non Aquarium Plastic Plants Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sulla

Aquarium Advice Regular
have noticed over the years that large nice looking plastic plants for aquariums are way way over priced. I have also noticed that plastic plants for home decorating are cheap (look for them on clearance and its even better:). I also noticed that the home plastic plants, vines etc tend to be larger. So in the past I have tried some in test aquariums with no ill effects I can see. Has any one else tried any of these plants and with what results. When buying the plants I do try and stay away from the ones that have any kind of waxy coating, perfume/smell, exposed metal, nonplastic pieces etc. Would be interested in what others have tried etc. Thanks:)

I've got a bunch of fake grass from a "silk flowers" store in my 90 gallon chiclid tank. They've been in there several months and doing well. Before I placed them in, I washed them several times, and let them soak for a while. Some residue did come off them (these had some red coloring on them, which came off). I did do a bit of work to get them how I wanted them, but they look much better than any "aquarium" plants I've seen, and I save quite a bit of money too.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v422/nateeide/Fish/?action=view&current=bluepeacock.jpg

I like the tall grass also I have some of a different brand in one of my tanks. I wonder if washing the plastic plants in a mild viniger and water solution would help take any residue of faster?

Dunno. It might. I sent mine through the dishwasher (no soap, but the hardest/hottest setting) like 3-4 times.

Is the grass you have glued at the bottom or molded in one piece? I picked up several plastic plants today to go with what I have but I stayed away from the plants witht he silk leaves glued on. I am worried about what glue they use. Also I am worried some what about how they are painted. Any way for now I kept with the ones that are solid plastic.

The area below is like 3'x3' , so lots of new plants.
DIY_BG_13.jpg

Sulla said:
Is the grass you have glued at the bottom or molded in one piece?

Well they sold it in bunches, kind of in a circular bouquet if you will. So what I did is cut it apart with wire cutters into the individual "plants". Then I took a piece of drip line (1" diameter, I believe) that I bought at HD, and cut about 1/4 of it off (so it went 3/4 around), then cut it into small sections that would hold either 2 or 3 "plants" of the fake grass. I drilled holes in the drip line, and pushed the plants through them, then put a little bit of aquarium sealant on the underside of each one to both hold them in place and make sure the metal that had been exposed by my trimming wouldn't rust into the tank. This way, I was able to anchor each group of 2-3 pieces in the tank anywhere I saw fit. Of course, some of my fish still dig em out, especially because I've got sand, but they work well none the less.

usually the glue is like hot-glue gun glue...which shouldn't hurt the tank at all. but, always better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom