non divided sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireman23488

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was recently given my first aquarium, a 90 gallon, pre drilled tank, stand, and everything needed for the sump, with the exception of a sump tank. I picked up a 20 gallon long tank last night, and have been googling my fingers off looking at Freshwater sump designs. My question is, instead of building multiple chambers, would an eggcrate chamber (large enough the make it where the only way from the sump intake to the sump outake was to pass through) filled with ceramic rings be suitable? I do plan to run a mesh filter bag over the intake that drops into the sump, and am thinking some filter media on the intake side of the eggcrate as well..

This is my FIRST aquarium, so any advice is welcomed! The heater would be before the ceramic rings as well.

Baffles or sump walls are used to block micro bubbles from entering your tank from your sump, but ive been running a baffleless sump for about a year with great success, my drain lines have filter socks to filter the water and stop micro bubbles, and my return pump (mag drive 10) has a huge foam prefilter block that does more filtering

Back
Top Bottom